From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is better, many PXI cards or fewer PXI cards with more SCXI cards?

I have a pretty basic question.  Which is "better", using multiple PXI cards for analog inputs or a single PXI card and multiple SCXI cards?  For example, if I have say 100 channels to sample (all at the same rate), I could use 2 6225s at 80 ch each.  Or I could use 1 6220 and 4 SCXI 1100s (32 ch each).  What are the pros and cons with either approach?  Keep in mind sample rate probably isn't an issue (less than 1 kHz) but it is the same for all channels.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,840 Views)
The pros/cons will depend on your application now and in the future.  I recommend contacting your local NI sales representative.  Synchronizing across a PXI system is easy to do via the backplane.  There are PXI/SCXI combo chassis available, you could use PXI multifunction DAQ cards and then SCC for signal conditioning for thermocouples for additional functionality later.  There are many possibilities that may be best discussed with your sales representative.
Regards,

h_baker
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,819 Views)