From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does 14 bit resolution mean

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Does the "14 bit resolution" refer to the input given to the PXI-5412 (via niFgen_CreateWaveformFromFileI16 and/or niFgen_CreateWaveformFromFileF64), the output of the PXI-5412 through channel 0, or both?  To clarify a bit, I know that niFgen_CreateWaveformFromFileI16 reads values from a 16 bit data source, but do the values contained in those 16 bits have to be inside a 14-bit range?

Some background info...  I am using a system containing a PXI-5412.  I am executing the example C code and modifying it for some arbitrary waveforms.  I have a spectrum analyzer connected to the output of the PXI-5412 and am trying to understand the the results.  I am using a data file that contains a chirp waveform.

I generate the chirp data via Matlab.  I can save it out in various formats, but started saving it off as 16-bit.  In my application, I load this data using niFgen_CreateWaveformFromFileI16 and initiate generation.  The output is being fed to a spectrum analyzer, but the result does not look like a chirp.  However, if I save the same data out as a double, and use the SAME code (NOT changing the function  niFgen_CreateWaveformFromFileI16), I see a chirp.  This result lead me to my question.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(8,910 Views)

Hello, 

These two questions are not related to one another if I understand your question correctly.  The 14-bit resolution is just the digital to analog conversion, 2^14 bits of information that is outputted.  The niFgen_CreateWaveformFromFile16 is a form of data representation that consists of 16 bits waveform that you are 'creating' programmatically.

Thanks, 

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,850 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ronayn

By the way, this is in the wrong forum discussion talk page.  You need to go to the site below next time:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Signal-Generators/bd-p/310

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 3 of 4
(8,847 Views)

Thanks.  Will do.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(8,781 Views)