PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usin PXIe-8234 in PXI

Hi

I wonder whether I can use NI PXIe-8234 Ethernet card in NI PXI system. I mean my PXI is not express, but I just now realise that it is PXI express card.

So this may be problem for me? If yes, there is a solution ??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,782 Views)

What PXI chassis are you using?  If they are using Hybrid slots, you can use it.  But if it is strictly PXI slots, your PXIe-8234 cannot be used in it.  Maybe you can use a PXI-8231 instead.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,771 Views)

I forgot that. My PXI model is 1042

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,766 Views)

No, you cannot use that PXIe card in that chassis.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,761 Views)

Sir, I have a different question much more important than this. I know here is wrong place to ask this question, but I want to ask you.

I made a cRIO project. The project has two VIs. One of them is Host and the other one is Target. At Target side, I have 100 sensor datas. I collected these with "Merge Signals" function and created a Shared Variable at the output of the Merge Signal.

At Host side, I have two while loops that run parallel with 5 Hz sample rate.  One of the loop is for third-party product. And the other loop is for parse the shared variable. Let us name these loops as "NI Loop" and "Third-Party Loop". When I run the Host.vi, each of the loops begin to log data to different text documents. 

if the test lasts 15 minutes or less, there is no problem. At the end of the test, both of the two text documents have same row number. I mean they run synchronously.

But !! if the test lasts approximately 60 minute, at the end of the test, when I look the text documents, I see that the text document that has been recorded at the "NI Loop" side has less row number than the other text document. (Approximately %20 less !!)

In "NI Loop", there is no complex structures. I removed arrays and mathscript nodes and tried. Again it had less row number. It has 4 or 5 global variable (set to write). I removed them as well. The row number increased, but still less than the other text document.

So I thought that the problem may cause because of the shared variable. So I decided to try Network Streams instead of Shared Variable.

I wonder what you think about this issue and this decision

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,758 Views)

@Gilfoyle wrote:
...and created a Shared Variable...

I wonder what you think about this issue and this decision

That was a HORRIBLE decision.  Use a Network Stream to send your data from the cRIO to your host.  Shared Variables are just flat out completely wrong for streaming (care about every data point) data since they are really for Tag data (only care about the latest value).

I have many other issues with Shared Variables and just avoid them like the plague.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,749 Views)

I will try Network Stream, sir. But I wonder why there is no problem if the test lasts 15 minutes or less ??

Because it seems that there is a problem that changes with respect to time.

I hope to use network streams solve this problem.

Thanks your advice, sir.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,746 Views)