PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Window 10 on PXI-8119

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade our PXI chassis that have the 8119 controller to run Windows 10 LTSB.  This is an attempt to bring all "computers" in the lab to the same OS to make managing OS updates simpler.

I have successfully updated one of the chassis and loaded the latest drivers from NI and everything seems to work.  After about 2 hrs, the controller shuts down and the controller power/fault light flashes green.  The only way to recover is to power cycle the chassis.  The user manual states that this indicates a power supply issue.  Going with this idea, I swapped power supplies from another PXI chassis that was still running Win 7.  The problem did not resolve itself.

Thinking that something else might be going on, I swapped the controller in to another PXI chassis and the problem stayed with the controller so I thought something is wrong with the controller.

So, I decided to upgrade another controller to Win 10 LTSB and then that controller started to behave the same way....after 1-2 hours, blinking green power/fault light.  I put the Win 7 image back on and the problem went away.

I'm sure this must be a Win 10 issue, possibly a power management settings issue.  I checked the power settings and group policy settings and anything setting related to "sleep" or "hibernate" is turned off.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,339 Views)

Howdy simstim101,

I would check to see if the Intel Processor you have in your system is compatible with the version of Windows 10 you're installing.

It looks like the 8119 has a quad-core Intel Core i7-3610QE.  On this Intel Support Page it says that this seventh generation of processors only supports 64 bit Windows 10.  If the image you put on is 32 bit, this could cause some performance issues.

It also be a good idea to check if the software you have is compatible with the Windows 10 version you have on your controllers.  Running software across versions of Windows they're not supported on won't always return an error during installation, but can also cause issues.

Tyler O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,311 Views)