PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated LabVIEW, which updated DAQmx 9.8. PXIe-8101 only at DAQmx 9.4. Fix how?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to use MAX to navigate to a PXIe-6363 DAQ connected to my PXIe-8101 RT connected on my LAN, but am encountering an error : "Error -88716 occurred at Device Communication, Possible Reason(s): The requested operation failed because the versions of a driver installed on the local and remote system are different.  Update the driver so the versions on the two systems are the same.  Remote System: 172.17.2.65, Incompatible Driver: NI-DAQmx Device Driver 9.4.0f0"

This problem occured recently when I updated LabVIEW on my development machine to the latest version (2013 f2), which updated DAQmx on my development machine to v9.8.

While I'm not quite there, I plan on using the PXIe-6363 to analyze an audio signal.  I assume I'll need to have everything reporting properly in MAX before I have a hope of making it work in LabVIEW.

I'm now trying to update the drivers / firmware on the PXIe system to enable full communication between my development system and the PXIe system, and am having problems.

When trying "Select all for Install" for "NI-DAQmx 9.8.0" in the "Add/Remove Software" on the PXIe-8101 system through MAX, I'm getting the error :

---------------------------

Cannot continue because of the following unresolved dependencies:

Dynamic Signal Acquisition 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
Dynamic Signal Acquisition 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
Counter/Timer 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
Counter/Timer 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
NI-DAQmx 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
NI-DAQmx 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
Multifunction DAQ 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
Multifunction DAQ 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
CompactDAQ 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
CompactDAQ 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
CompactDAQ 9.8.0 requires LabVIEW Real-Time 12.0.0
Industrial Digital I/O 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
Industrial Digital I/O 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
Analog Output Series 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
Analog Output Series 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
NI-653x 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
NI-653x 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0
SC Express 9.8.0 requires Language Support for LabVIEW RT 1.0.0.3
SC Express 9.8.0 requires Intel 8254x Ethernet Driver 5.0

---------------------------

This dialog doesn't offer an option to automatically attempt to download or locate the missing packages.  Online searches have revealed no obvious upgrade instructions for my particular case.

I've downloaded and installed DAQmx v9.8 as well as the 2013 RealTime module to my development machine, and am in the process of downloading the 4GB of device drivers.

Is there a suggested method for updating the PXIe-8101 software / firmware to match that of my development machine that doesn't require me trying to manually decipher and download packages?

I've never worked with the PXIe system (or any remote system) with LabVIEW before, and expect this would be an easy fix for someone more experienced in this.

Owen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,475 Views)

The components it's saying you're deficient in are found within a standard LabVIEW Real-Time 2013 installation (Language Support and Intel 8254x Ethernet Drivers).  Can you show a screen-grab of this message, as well as a screen-grab of available installable software?  Try restarting MAX also - when you install software, MAX doesn't update the available software until it is shut down and restarted.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,470 Views)

Just to be safe, I restarted my computer and found that I still had the same error when trying to update to software.

I've attached two screenshots : 

1) A capture of the error

2) The software installed on my development machine as shown in MAX

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,465 Views)

Actually, I want a shot of your MAX add/remove remote software window - NOT a shot of your installed software on the host.  Something that looks like this.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,450 Views)

Here is a complete list.  (I manually joined the four screenshots into one graphic)

Owen

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,444 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Owen.T

AHA!

Ok, that explains it.  You've actually got LabVIEW 2011 on the target (PXIe-8101) but you've got LabVIEW 2013 on the host.  You have all of the necessary software installed on the host, but there are conflicts between required versions of software on the controller itself versus what you're currently trying to install.  You have 3 ways to proceed:

(1) The cleanest way to proceed is to keep track of all the software components you have installed (the version is not important) and then UNINSTALL ALL software from the controller and then REINSTALL your software (letting MAX choose the latest versions of everything).  This ensures that you get the latest software components.

(2) The "simplest" wat to proceed is to go through and "update" all components with a "Bang" icon (yellow triangle with an exclamation mark) to upgrade/reinstall to the newest version found on the host - the "bang" icon symbolizes that software is currently installed on the target, but newer versions exist on the host.  The version will not be updated without user interaction, even if other components require newer versions.  This will bump all your versions to the latest, which is what the latest version of DAQmx wants.

(3) Nuclear Option - reformat your controller and reinstall all software.  This is not recommended, but this option always exists.

-Danny

Message 6 of 7
(6,435 Views)

Danny,

Thanks so much for your help!  I chose option 2.

It turns out that I was actually interpreting the dialog box wrong - I thought the list of "unresolved dependencies" was a list of items that were missing from my development machine, when it is actually a list of additional modules that need to be selected in MAX when attempting to update a module.

During one of my first attempts (days ago) to update the software, I had selected "all software," but had received an error.  Since that time I have installed DAQmx and LabVIEW RealTime to my development machine, which may have unknowingly addressed my initial error.  Subsequent install efforts on my part were always targeted at just the DAQmx module, as I (wrongly) felt that it would reduce the number of "unresolved dependencies."  I had it totally backwards.

Your comment led me to start by updating "LabVIEW Real-Time 11.0" and iteratively selecting modules as necessary to satisfy the "unresolved dependencies."  After the first successful update using this method, I just selected "Update All" and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks again!

Owen

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,428 Views)