PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undetected Digitizers and Virtual Machine Thunderbolt connection

Hello,

I'm having some troubles with NI-5112 digitizers (14 of them) when inserted into a PXIe-1065 chassis. They are not recognized by the MAX NI-scope (version 17.5.0f0) and I believe this is because NI-5112 isn’t supported by this new MAX version. However, MAX was able to see 5114 digitizers when I replace them with the 5112s.  I read that 5112s can only be seen by MAX in a Windows 32-bit OS machine so I created a 32-bit Windows virtual machine in VMWare but now MAX isn't recognizing anything. I am using a thunderbolt cable to connect my Dell laptop (using the thunderbolt 3 port) to the PXIe-1065 chassis. I could not find any information on whether or not VMWare can detect a thunderbolt connection but do know it can detect usb ports. So, I am wondering do you think the connection to the Virtual Machine would work if I use a thunderbolt to usb converter instead? Also, is the information about the 5112 digitizers and that MAX can not detect them because it is not a 32-Bit OS Machine true? 

I appreciate anyone's response and input,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,793 Views)

Hi spawlto,

1. If we check the readme for NI-SCOPE 17.5.0, we can see that the PXI-5112 is not listed as compatible with a 64-bit OS while a PX-5114 is. Note that the focus of compatibility is on the driver itself, and not necessarily NI-MAX. 

NI-SCOPE 17.5 Readme

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375360j.html

2. VMs have a hard time connecting with thunderbolt; this KB explains why. It will very likely not work if you used a thunderbolt to USB converter.

Can I Use a 8301 Thunderbolt Connection With A Virtual Machine? 

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019Sa4SAE&l=en-US

Hopefully that helps clarify a few things. I can understand that those are probably not the answers you wanted, so I have a few ideas below for you to consider:

1. Do you have access to any 32-bit OS machines? 

2. Maybe try dual booting a 32-bit machine? Forgive me for not knowing know much about this; it's more of a suggestion of what to look in to.

3. Is purchasing newer NI Digitizers an option? 

Best,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,758 Views)