From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[URGENT] Diagnosing problem in PCIe-8375 card or fiber optic cable

I have a PXIe-8375/PCIe-8375 interface system for connecting my PC to a PXI chassis with several PXI cards. The PXIe-8375 is connected to the PC with an MXI express Fiber Optic cable. Recently, I've been having a problem where the PXI cards in the chassis don't show up on the PC, and the LED indicator on the PXIe-8375 interface card is amber, meaning the connection to the PC is lost. I'm trying to narrow down the problem to either the PCIe-8375 card or the fiber optic cable. 

Is there a way to determine which component is not working? I don't have any spare components to test with. On Device Manager, with the PCIe card connected, this is the result under "System Devices":

yejus_0-1641790817052.png

The "PCI Express to PCI/PCI-X Bridge" devices are translucent or "hidden", which means they are not connected. Does this definitely mean the PCIe card is malfunctioning? I'd be grateful if someone offered any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(748 Views)

Hi yejus,

Unfortunately there's not a good way to tell which piece is broken. You may want to verify the DIP switches -- enabling BIOS mode without the driver installed will yield symptoms like this. You could try installing the driver in case something's wrong with the DIP switch: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.mxi-express-bios-compatibility.html#3311...

In device manager, if you view devices by connection, the PCIe MXI card will show up as an upstream port and a downstream port, and the PXIe board would show up as an upstream port and several downstream ports. You'll probably see the upstream+downstream pair for the PCIe card but that doesn't really narrow it down -- all 3 pieces need to be working for the cabled link to function.

XYZ PCI Express Root Port
  PCI Express Upstream Switch Port (PCIe card)
    PCI Express Downstream Switch Port (PCIe card)
[cable]
      PCI Express Upstream Switch Port (PXIe card)
        PCI Express Downstream Switch Port (PXIe card)
        PCI Express Downstream Switch Port (PXIe card)

Message 2 of 2
(719 Views)