PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UART communication

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a PXI test system that I am using to test some custom hardware. A few of the tests require UART data to be sent and received. I have a UART to USB device I can use, but I would rather not depend on hardware outside of the PXI chassis if I can. I have some spare channels on a 6535 that I tried to use to get UART working. Unfortunately, I can't reliably receive long sequences of bytes (I can send them with no problems). I still have budget left to buy additional cards if I need to, but I'm not sure that any of them will allow for reliable UART communication. The big problem I had with the 6535s is that I can't always rearm the task fast enough for each byte, and software timing is too unreliable. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have the same problem with any other card I pick also.

Is there some way to reliably get UART communication to work using just PXI hardware, or do I have to use some additional hardware (like a UART to USB converter)?

Message 1 of 23
(7,924 Views)

How many ports do you need?  Here is a 2 port PXI card from NI: PXI-8430/2.  There is up to a 16 port card also available.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(7,918 Views)

Unless I don't understand something, I don't think that card will work. I already have an RS-232 port on the PXI chassis I have. RS-232 is not the same as UART though. I looked at the datasheet for this card, and it doesn't seem to be able to support 0-3.3VDC UART communication.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(7,914 Views)

Where is the serial data coming from?  What is the USB-UART adapter you were planning on using?  That would help us have more context of what you are trying to do.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(7,911 Views)

The data is coming from some components on a custom board. Here is the usb-UART device I am currently using:

http://www.mikroe.com/add-on-boards/communication/usb-uart/

It is a pretty standard FTDI based device. I am running it at 3.3VDC.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(7,907 Views)

One option is to use a "translator" between the UUT and the PXI card I linked to earlier.  I have used an SN74LVCC4245A to translate between 5V and 3.3V logic with a lot of success.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(7,902 Views)

If I'm going to be using hardware that's external to the PXI chassis, I'll just go ahead and use the USB to UART converter I already have.

I was hoping there was some PXI card I could buy that was capable, but it's looking like that isn't the case.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(7,889 Views)

Hey Jo-Jo,

Can you tell me what UART type you're looking for?  Is it a 16550?  Have you considered taking at the PXI-8421/3?

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(7,873 Views)

Can the PXI-8421/3 even use UART? It looks to me like it is only for RS-232 and RS-485, which is not the same thing, althought they are often translated into each other, so it gets confusing. The logic levels are different though.

I have an embedded device I need to communicate to that uses plain old 0-3.3 UART like you would see on any microcontroller.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(7,869 Views)

Hello Jo-Jo,

If you look at page 1-3 of the PXI Serial Hardware Manual you will see that all serial hardware uses the standard 16550-compatible UARTs.  Regarding your 3.3V requirement there are PCI and PXI express interfaces that you can take a look at here, such as:

1.  http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/208832

2.  http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/207739

Hope these help!

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(7,867 Views)