From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering Devices

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using a PXIe system (PXIe-1092 chassis w/ PXIe-8881 controller) with a PXIe-5745 AWG (FlexRIO) and a NI 5742 AO attached to a PXIe-7976R FPGA FlexRIO Module.  I have configured the output waveform for both of these and have successfully been able to produce a waveform but now I want to synchronize them so that they output at the same time.  I am new to PXI and FlexRIO and have been trying to determine how to trigger the two modules.  I have read that there is a PXI trigger bus but I am having a hard time finding good examples that aren't using NI SYNC and DAQmx, which I think won't work with my devices.  There is this article talking about how I can use the PXI Star trigger with FlexRIO devices but I can't seem to find any examples.

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/flexrio/page/target5devicehelp/pxi_star_trigger_line.html

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,213 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author boba206

Hello, how much tightly would you like to synchronize 5745 and 5742?  

There may be multiple ways to synchronize the two.  One of the simplest methods is to export start trigger from 5745 and route it to PXI trigger line.  

As shown in the picture below, Getting Started example of PXIe-5745 routes its start trigger to be exported.  

UMASO_1-1669381202249.png

Route this to either of PXI trigger line 0~7.  How to route signals from Integrated IO versions of FlexRIO is documented as shown in the below picture.  

UMASO_0-1669381094337.png

On the side of 5742, mofidy FPGA VI so that waveform generation starts at trigger timing which comes through the trigger line.  

Since 5742 is 1MSps, this method may satisfy the level of synchronization.  

Another method is to utilize Sync API which accomplishes tighter degrees of synchronization, but the version of Sync API for 5742 and 5745 are different and it may take a certain amount of efforts.   

Message 2 of 2
(1,180 Views)