PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time out while waiting for remote system to reboot

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to install some software in my PXI (NI PXIe-1082 with a NI PXIe-8108) so after finishing the selection of the software to install the system reboot and enter into the Install Mode State. The problem is that even when in the PXI Screen Apears "System State: Install Mode" nothing happend, and after a while i received the next message from Measurement & Automation Explorer:

Time out while waiting for remote system to reboot

Does anyone have any idea?

JCC

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,716 Views)

Hi juanchin, 

There could be a number of causes but in essence it is a networking problem. The PXI is rebooting into safemode for software installation, for some reason after it reboots Max can re-connect to it, causing a timeout error.  

Some good steps to take: 

-Set a static ip address on the PXI, make sure it on the same subnet as your computer so you can find it again easily. 

-Disable any other ethernet ports on your computer 

-Drop your firewall 

-Eliminate any switches or routers between you and the controller. 

Let me know if these don't work 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,699 Views)

Thanks for your answer,

I've made all thoses changes but none of them help me to correct the problem. Another thing that's happening is that i have all my targets recognized but i cannot find the PXI hardware in a Labview Project by means of Project > Add Targets and Devices> > Discover an existing targets or devices.However  i can add devices by IP,  but following this procedure don't allow me to run any VI in the remote systems (the target is not correctly recognized).

Last week i succeded recognizing my PXI in a Labview project and running  code in the remote system. The only major change i've made since then was the configuration of an admin password. I've been trying but i could find a  way to run VI code again. 

Attached to this message i send a technical report of my system..

Thank you for your attention,

Juanchin 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,693 Views)

Hi juanchin,

Do you have more than one ethernet card or port? If so try swapping which port/card your pxi is conneced. Also, is your controller set to a static ip address? If not I recommend doing so.

It still sounds like the controller has a bad software installation and has networking issues. 

You also may want to make sure that you haven't enabled any permissions or are logged in as an administrator when you try the re-install.

Could you post screenshots of the system settings and network settings tabs in max of your chassis? 

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,681 Views)

Thanks,

I'm attaching an image with the network configuration of the PXI and the host computer, and other image with the software installed in the PXI.

Regards,

Juanchin

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,675 Views)

Hi Juanchin, 

It looks like you have kept the default link local address for your pxi. If it is hosted on a network you may want to change this to be on the same subnet as your computer. this document may be helpful.

If you have it directly connected to your computer you still can do this, just look up your ip address from this tutorial and change the ip to be on the same subnet.

I didn't catch whether you have two ethernet cards, but MAX will look for the default port see (here). Do you have multiple ports? 

The steps I would take are: 

-set the ipaddress to a network address (eg 10.0.18.1) on the same subnet as your computer instead of link local.

-disconnect your computer from any networks it is a part of and try switching which ports your pxi is hooked into if you have multiple ports. 

-disable any other network adapter you have (including wireless)  

-boot the controller directly to install mode and make sure you can see it in MAX. 

Keep me updated

Jesse Dennis
Engineer
INTP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,666 Views)