PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermocouple Simulation

I see it is possible to simulate thermocouples using a cRIO. Does anyone know if it is possible using PXI technology rather than cRIO?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,666 Views)

Hi abeach_FTL,

Good Morning and I hope your well today.

I am guessing your referring to creating your own simulation system for a thermocouple transducer? 

Article:Thermocouple Simulation with CompactRIO

Link:    http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4310

The reason why the cRIO has been choosen in the application if due to the FPGA hardware backplane that allows some code to be 'build' into the hardware. Also considering cost. This document would be very easy to use as they have considered most of the challenges as well as providing code and advice.

However, your question was - can it be done using PXI: 

The PXI not having the FPGA could cause an issue however Im sure it could be done. You would need to plan it all out and think through it carefully mind you (as with any project).

Can I ask why your considering a PXI? For simulation purposes having a greater cost and a larger channel count surely aren't ideal.. but one suposes you may already have the kit.

I am happy to continue this discussion, if/when you reply 😄

Hope this helps to get you started, 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,650 Views)

James,

Thanks for the reply. Ideally we'd do everything with cRIO (yes it was that article you mention). As yet we do not have any hardware.

This bit is a bit off topic but will give you the backgrouns you may need to help us.

The project involves simulating various aircraft interfaces and sensors so that we can prove a new aircraft avionic unit / computer. A thermocouple is just one of these sensors. The unit is already in series production however, we need to produce a new test rig. The current test rig is based on VME technology. The reason for looking at PXI was becuase numerous VME cards in the old test system are available in cPCI format, hence this would represent much lower risk when migrating to the new test rig. We know that if we go down the NI route we are going to need third party modules/cards for some of the interfaces (such as ARINC-429. Hence, why it makes sense to use cPCI versions of the VME cards in the old test rig.

Currently the test rig is controlled by propriatory software / test bench. We want to move to something much more generic and hopefully cheaper. Hence, why we are looking at your products.

I would appriciate your advice. May be a hybrid test system is the way forward?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,646 Views)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

I will having a think about your setup/request. However, I understand your a UK Customer. I would advice you contacting your local sales engineer who could maybe help you to decide the best way we can help you. 

Do you think it would be possible to contact them as well? / You could also ring in and discuss this with someone in the office.. the UK Number is 01635 523545.

Thanks,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Message 4 of 10
(6,637 Views)

Hi Alex,

Another thing - I can help you contact the FSE,

if you could email NI UK Support and ni.com/ask. And send in your question (application) and post your name and company name etc. Then I can help some more. 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,636 Views)

James,

The refernece is Reference#7272-HPM123.

When I worked at adifferent company a guy called Chris Mead came to visit us. My colleage has already sent him an email about what we want to do. I guess we'll just have to wait till he gets in touch.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,631 Views)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for that.

I have now received your request. 

I have emailed you from NI UK Support - and we shall continue support there.

Thanks,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,624 Views)

Hi Alex,

I hope your well. Did you receive my email?

Also, I wanted to clarify, that this obviously can be acheived using PXI. Since receiving more details about your application the PXI seems like a great platform, which your right, will allow you to use your VME stuff and reduce the risk - as you put it.

Regards, 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,620 Views)

I realize that this thread is over two years old, but I have a medical device customer wishing to implement a thermocouple simulator in PXI instead of compactRIO. I have already suggested compactRIO but their specifications calls out PXI architecture.

I have located a DC reference module (C&H Technologies model PX468S).  I am trying to decide if this module by itself is sufficient to perform as a thermocouple simulator or whether further hardware is required. 

I was interested how the original inquiry was translated into PXI from the tutorial; any help would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely

Richard Tuttle

HEI, Inc.

Advanced Medical Division

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,619 Views)

In PXI format you have an specific card for thermocouple simulations, Pickering 41-760-001 but if you don´t need a good accuracy you can use an output 0-20 mA whith a resistance in pararell of 1 Ohm.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,171 Views)