PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand CVI Step dll not Loadable. Could not load DLL or external dll

We are using TestStand 2012 to call a cvi dll with the CVI adapter step.  We are getting an error that TestStand is unable to load the dll we are trying to call.  We verified the dll is good by loading it in LabVIEW with no discrepancies.  The error we are receiving is:

Message     : Module for Step 'drv_fcx_Init' not Loadable. Could not load DLL or external library 'C:\DMT\CSCI_8026707_FCNS-24\Source\FCNS Fiber Channel\drv_fcx\drv_fcx.dll'.

File        : C:\DMT\CSCI_8026707_FCNS-24\Sequences\FCNS_Fiber_Channel_Network_Analyzer.seq
Location    : Seq["Open"].Main["drv_fcx_Init"].TS.SData
Rule        : Code modules must be able to load
Description : TestStand must be able to load all code modules without error. TestStand reports errors at run time when it
cannot load a code module.  Correct this problem by editing the step in the sequence editor.

We were able to get TestStand to load and properly execute the test sequence by switching the step adapter settings by changing the settings:

Execute Steps In-Process (CVI is NOT Required for This Mode) "this did not load the dll"

To:

Execute Steps in an External instance of CVI "this loads the dll and executes the sequence"

Any suggestions on how to fix this discrepancy would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,608 Views)

Hi JoeLV1992,

Are you currently using TestStand 2012 with LabVIEW (64-bit)? If so please refer to the following document:

Using TestStand 2013 and Previous with LV 64Bit

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4AB63B9B0EFA23D28625761D0053B8B0

Additionally, this error could be caused by a dll that is being called from your main dll that you've forgotten to move? Something to think about.

Alex
Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,557 Views)

Hello and thank you for the reply.

This is a TestStand 2012 32bit and LabWindows/CVI dll issue.  LabVIEW is not being called in this sequence file.

We are getting a TestStand error that the dll cannot be loaded.  The dll is compiled as a 32bit assembly and has no errors.  There is a problem with the CVI step adapter being configured to use the "Execute Steps In-Process (CVI is NOT Required for This Mode)" fails to load the dll.  When we switch to "Execute Steps in an External instance of CVI" the dll loads and operates with no discrepancies.

I need troubleshooting steps for when a CVI step adapter fails to load a CVI dll when the TestStand step adapter setting is set to, "Execute Steps In-Process (CVI is NOT Required for This Mode)"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,554 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification. I'm thinking that it could be that you need to add the lib files to the your final DLL using the add files to Dll option in CVI --target settings.

Please refer to :

https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/Error-17004-only-when-using-CVI-RTE/td-p/2659855

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Alex
Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,535 Views)

Alex,

This is not the same problem (all be it very close).  The dll I have will load and run in the debug step adapter call, unlike the problem in the forum where it states, "Even if I run the sequence editor from CVI as the "Executable to debug" I get the same problem."

• "Execute Steps In-Process (CVI is NOT Required for This Mode)" fails to load the dll.
  • "Execute Steps in an External instance of CVI" the dll loads and operates with no discrepancies.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,514 Views)

Joel,

Are you receiving a specific error number when making this adapter call?

Alex
Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,505 Views)

This is the message I copied from the sequence analyzer.

Message     : Module for Step 'drv_fcx_Init' not Loadable. Could not load DLL or external library 'C:\DMT\CSCI_8026707_FCNS-24\Source\FCNS Fiber Channel\drv_fcx\drv_fcx.dll'.

File        : C:\DMT\CSCI_8026707_FCNS-24\Sequences\FCNS_Fiber_Channel_Network_Analyzer.seq Location    : Seq["Open"].Main["drv_fcx_Init"].TS.SData Rule        : Code modules must be able to load Description : TestStand must be able to load all code modules without error. TestStand reports errors at run time when it cannot load a code module.  Correct this problem by editing the step in the sequence editor.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,502 Views)

Have you been able to replicate this issue on another computer?

Alex
Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,494 Views)

We cannot duplicate the problem on another PC.  This is only happening on this PC.  Also, the dll was working at one time, and stopped working.  I rebuilt the dll, checked to see if it was OK in LabVIEW, and the dll seems to be OK.  There is something going on with TestStand CVI dll call type not working.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,432 Views)

Are there any differences in the software installed on the two computers? 

The computer we're seeing this issue on should have the CVI runtime engine installed in order to execute the DLL.

Do you already have this installed?

Alex
Hardware Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,427 Views)