PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source distribution with FPGA support

I am trying to deploy a series of VIs which interact with FPGAs (PXIe-7966 based).  When I run my RT vi's in development mode, the automatic deployment includes many vis such as:

Deploying niLvFpgaWhatHappensToTopLevelVI.ctl(already deployed)
Deploying niFpgaNodeNameForErrorReporting.ctl(already deployed)
Deploying niLvFpgaFormatErrorSource.vi(already deployed)
Deploying nirviWhatTheDeviceIsDoing.ctl(already deployed)
Deploying niFpgaHostInterfaceSession.ctl(already deployed)
Deploying nirio_resource_hc.ctl(already deployed)
Deploying nirio_resource_hc.ctl(already deployed)
Deploying niLvFpgaErrorClusterFromErrorCode.vi(already deployed)
Deploying nirviErrorClusterFromErrorCode.vi(already deployed)
Deploying niLvFpgaErrorClusterFromErrorCode.vi(already deployed)
Deploying nirviErrorClusterFromErrorCode.vi(already deployed)
Deploying niLvFpgaAdjustHostInterfaceError.vi(already deployed)
Deploying niFpgaDynamicAddResources.vi(already deployed)
Deploying niLvFpga_Close_Dynamic.vi(already deployed)
Deploying niLvFpga_Open_PXIe-7966R.vi(already deployed)

None of these show as dependencies though on the RT target project.  When I try to create a source distribution, I can't seem to get these deployed.  My VIs (When called by reference or invoke) thus fail to start (Error 1003).  I'm assuming it's because the source distribution didn't include the above items.

How then can I include the FPGA  and RIO vi's in the source distribution?  Including vi.lib, instr, and user (From the source distribution properties) doesn't appear to pull in any of these.  Including NiFpgaLv.dll doesn't seem to help either.  There's no other source distribution options that seem to address FPGA or RIO inclusion.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,391 Views)

Some searching and it looks like all of the above should be in vi.lib.  When I try to include vi.lib, the deployment always fails with the following error:

Deploying My_Source Source Distribution(failed to deploy)
LabVIEW:  An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @.
=========================
NI-488:  Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller-In-Charge.

Deployment completed with errors

This error is persistent whenever I try to include vi.lib.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,381 Views)

Issue moved to this thread: 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Open-FPGA-VI-Reference-on-deployed-VI-LabView-RT/td-p/3000527

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,344 Views)

Though these are related, I don't think this issue should be moved.  This issue is now specifically asking why the source distribution fails when vi.lib is included.  The other issue was a question on why it appeared the Open FPGA VI reference was failing (Which turned out to be a basic error on my part).  I'd like to keep this issue going here if possible.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,340 Views)

Hi Robert,

After doing a bit of research, it looks like this exact issue - down to the 1003 error code and behavior with vi.lib - was reported earlier this year.  Apparently it only occurs on Pharlap OS (which corresponds to your PXI RT target).  R&D has been notified, and the current target version for fix is LV 2015.  The listed workaround is simply to FTP the files to the RT target as you are doing.  Let us know if you have any further questions!

Regards,

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,327 Views)

And I just got LV2014 installed... Ok.  The FTP approach works, but it certainly isn't the desired procedure.  Is there any potential for an earlier patch?  2015 is a long way off.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,325 Views)

Hi Robert,

Whether or not something gets patched and the subsequent timeline are up to NI R&D, so it wouldn't be my place to speculate as to if and when something will be patched.  That said, the corrective action request lists 2015 as the target version for fix.  Unfortunately, that's the best information I can give you for now.

Regards,

David R
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,314 Views)