cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slot detection of ASRL cards in a PXI chassis

Solved!
Go to solution

Seemed simple enough...

I need to detect all of the cards in my NI PXI chassis before our software starts. All I really need is each card's slot number and device name. Using VISA it's easy except for Serial cards (ASRL devices). These show up in a separate list and do not include the slot number. How do I get the slot number of (say, a PXIe-8431 card) using VISA?? My guess is you can't. However, the slot number shows up nicely in NI-MAX! How can duplicate that behavior??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,087 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author eatapez

Yes, there is the System Configuration APIs that provide access to NI MAX.

santo_13_0-1640305026610.png

santo_13_1-1640305046026.png

"Show All Hardware" example does a part of your requirement

santo_13_2-1640305104380.png

You can install these APIs from https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.system-configuration.html#409835

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,070 Views)

Santhosh,

Thanks so much for your reply and it MIGHT answer my question. However, we don't really use LabView here and a LabView answer isn't ideal in this case (maybe possible if we run out of options). I'm wanting to use Visual Studio for my solution.

I downloaded the System Configuration APIs and see the API call "NISysCfgFindHardware " (which I am assuming the magic call I need) in the header file "nisyscfg.h". Am I on the right track?? The bad news is I can find no example code on my hard drive after the install and I can't find a single example on the Internet.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,034 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author eatapez

This article describes the .NET examples - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000x5A9CAI&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 4
(1,029 Views)