PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHB4X-B4X and SHB12X-B12X Cable Pinouts

We will be using your SHB4X-B4X Infiniband cable to connect your PXIe-4492 to a custom PCB in a test panel.  

What I am looking for is the pinout of the SHB4X-B4X infiniband cable (197516-01) so I can make sure we design our custom board with the correct pinout.

We are also using your SHB12x-B12X Infiniband cable and it mentions that one end is the reverse of the other.  so that is why we are asking this question.

As far as the SHB12x-B12x cable this is what we have came up with for the first few pins:  (is this correct?)

PXI-6551 Description 192344-01 end 1   192344-01 end 2    779157-01 
Pin 1        GND            Pin 1                    Pin 73                 Pin G1 
Pin 2        PFI_1          Pin 2                    Pin 72                 Pin S1 
Pin 3        PFI_1*         Pin 3                    Pin 71                 Pin S2 
Pin 4        GND            Pin 4                    Pin 70                 Pin G2       

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,399 Views)

Hello,

The 6551 does not use the B12X-B12X cable that you reference, only the 656x devices and a few FlexRIO adapter modules do (for the high speed digital product line). Please be sure you are using the right cable.

Your description is correct. Pin 1 becomes pin 73 on the other side, pin 2 to pin 72, etc. 

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,390 Views)

What about the other cable? 

You are also correct, we are using the PXI-6561 instead of the PXI-6551

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,384 Views)

If the B4X-B4X doesn't have a stipulation that it's connector is reversed, then the pinout of the cable should match the pinout of the module you connect to. Therefore, I'd recommend looking up the pinout for the 4492, which should tell you which pins go to where. This is once again assuming the cable is pass through, which most of our cables are. I found this article which should be helpful for your project. Best of luck.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,369 Views)

Kyle,

Thank you for the information. The SHB12X-B12X cable (part 192344-01) has a maximum length of 1m. Unfortunately, we need a cable that is 3m in length -- how should we do this? NI doesn't sell longer cables with the pins connected in reverse order.

There are a few options:

1. Somehow get a longer 12x Infiniband cable with the connections reversed as done with the SH12BX-B12X cable

2. Connect the 1m long SH12BX-B12X cable to a standard 12x Infiniband cable. However, making this connection will require having a connector, both sides of which have female 12x Infiniband connections. Do you know where this might be available?

3. Connect the 1m long SH12BX-B12X cable to a "straight" 12x Infiniband cable that has a male connector on one end, and a female connector on the other. Do you know where such a cable might be available?

I googled these options extensively, but came up empty. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.

Best,

Aditya

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,239 Views)

You are correct, the max length is actually 1.5m, but we do not sell a 3m flying lead cable. If you cannot find a 3rd party selling the same cable at a longer length, the most ideal way is to design a custom adapter that mates two cables together (the 1m standard cable and 1.5m flying lead will get you to 2.5m). I don't know of any that exists today, so that's why I mention creating it custom. Hope this helps.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,220 Views)

Kyle,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

We are not looking for a "flying lead" cable. We have an application that currently works with the NI 6583 DIO board and some external hardware. Currently, it works well with the existing SHB12X-B12X cable of 1m length. We just need a way to extend this cable to 3m in length.

Any pointers on who we can contact to get this made? Thanks!

Best,

Aditya

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,217 Views)

Ah, they have similar naming conventions, my apologizes for mistaking your needs. I can't say I've worked with any contact specifically on requests like these, but you may filter through our list of Alliance Partners to find one that may be able to assist you if you need. Another thought would be to contact a cable company who produces a similar cable and see if they have any experience fulfilling custom requests for longer cables and/or adapters to increase length.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,212 Views)

I've also searched extensively for a longer cable. If and when you do find something make sure the pins are connected the same as NI does. Two suppliers had cables but had a maximum of 24 pairs (12X format) and did not correspond to the 6583 pinout. If you don't need all the channels, use the 1m cable, put a connector on it and solder your own cable for the pins you do need for the required length. And beware of possible noise and shielding!

Also look at this posting for propogation delay info. Some cables spec'd 4.25ns/m prop delay.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,948 Views)