PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading data through PXI for labVIEW

Hi folks,

I am very  new to LabVIEW, so bear with me please.

I have connected a PXI-1033 to the PC through the MXI in the PXI and the PCI in the PC. Now, I want to pass a simple signal, say a 5V through this to the PC.

How do I configure this? What sort of coding is required in LabVIEW for this to be realised?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Anoop 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,249 Views)

I don't understand the question.

MXI is a communication bus.  When you connect a PC to a PXI chassis with MXI, then the cards in the PXI chassis will show up as normal PCI cards.  Just make sure the PXI chassis is on before you boot up the PC otherwise the cards won't be detected.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,244 Views)

Hi thanks for the reply.

What I meant was, the PXI is coonected to my PC. I thought the MXI was the connection bus for the PXI and the PCI the slot in the PC?

Which ever way, thhe PXI shows up in the MAX, but I wanted know if it is possible to connect a 5V voltage directly to the PXI? If so, then can I program directly using labVIEW once the PXI has been detected by the MAX?

Thanks, Anoop

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,242 Views)

There is in no 5V power signal to the PXI.  As I said before, have the PXI chassis turned on before booting up the PC.  Then the cards in the chassis can be used.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,239 Views)

Yes, the PXI powers on and when running a program, the 'Link' LED alternates between re and green, which I understand means activity present on the PCI bus.

I know there is no 5V connected to the PXI, but I want to feed in a signal into the PXI from an external source (this will be a 5V) and then develop a program to read this 5V through LabVIEW. Is this possible to so? I mean feeding an external source straight to the PXI through its backplane?

Thanks, Anoop

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,234 Views)

Instead of thinking "the PXI", you should be thinking about the individual instruments you put in your chassis.  From your other thread (http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Using-GPIB-to-connect-third-party-devices/m-p...), I see that you have an R-series card in the PXI chassis.

So now to your 5V signal.  Is it constant 5V?  How often to you want to sample it?  What kind of readings to you want?

You can do pretty much whatever you want with the right equipment, using a program written in LabVIEW as the control software.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,225 Views)

Cheers. There is an external device to which I need to connect and acquire data from.

The PXI - 7813R (where the FPGA is) has already been programed by the last guy.

I just esed the SCB to connect the external circuit to the PXI.

Thanks for your help mate.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,220 Views)