PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS 485 communication with non NI Instrument

Hello,

i want to communicate via RS485 with a self built (non NI) Instrument. There should be only sent some messages which contain ASCII code. My favourite interface would be the built in GPIB Port of my controller. (PXI 8880) Is it possible to realize?

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,884 Views)

GPIB to RS485 (you would need to find such a converter). Better you go with USB-RS485 converters available in the market and use the VISA drivers to communicate over COM port.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,830 Views)

My first choice would be a PXI RS485 card added to the chassis.

After that would be a USB-RS485 adapter.  I've been using one from Tripp-Lite quite successfully on my current project.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,827 Views)

Hello,

because it is not a very important device, i do not want to buy cards. I have a USB-RS485 adapter available. The problem is, that i cannot find the interface in LabVIEW or VeriStand in order to send some ASCII code with VISA. I think i have to install a device driver, but because the device is selfbuilt, there will not be one. 
Do you have an idea how i can fix this problem?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,798 Views)

Just find the COM port your USB-RS485 adapter is assigned to and then treat it like a normal serial port with VISA. 

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,793 Views)

The problem is, that the adapter is displayed as usb-device and not as COM port. Where could be the reason?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,788 Views)

@mihamm wrote:

The problem is, that the adapter is displayed as usb-device and not as COM port. Where could be the reason?

Likely a driver issue.  I recommend just getting this device: U208-001-IND.  I have been using it quite successfully with a current project.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,785 Views)

Thank you for the tip. Maybe I'll try the driver of this device with my adapter.
Where can I find the driver?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,778 Views)