From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFSG Generate Finite RFSA signal

Hi,

I was trying to understand the ‘RFSG Generate Finite RFSA signal.vi’ and had a few questions –

• can I  use niRFSA Configure Number of Samples or niRFSA Configure Number of Records to get the same result?
  •  we don't need the "niRFSA Read IQ VI" if  device is configured to continuously acquire data samples, then how will it pass the data to "niRFSG Write Arbitrary Waveform"? The samples are continuous, so what vi do we need to use to pass continuous data to write it?
  • Also, the there is one vi "niRFSG Write Arbitrary Waveform", which I guess writes an arbitrary waveform, but I did not find a vi which can write continuous data.  Can we use the "RFSG Write Waveform From File" to write a continuous data by changing the waveform type to 'CW' in the block diagram?

could someone please help me?

Thanks so much,

Sharmi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,114 Views)

Hi Sharmi,

The "RFSG Generate Finite RFSA signal.vi" is just a VI that I made quickly to show the general way of how to generate a signal based off of one that you receive.  Next time, please post the code as well so others have the code too.  This example is very basic however, and needs some changes to be used for streaming applications.

• can I  use niRFSA Configure Number of Samples or niRFSA Configure Number of Records to get the same result?

niRFSA Configure Number of Samples is used to determine the number of samples that are taken every time the RFSA Read is called.  The niRFSA Configure Number of Records is a way to configure the number of times your read is called.  Take a look at the Context Help and other help documentation to get a more detailed explanation of what these 2 functions do.

•  we don't need the "niRFSA Read IQ VI" if  device is configured to continuously acquire data samples, then how will it pass the data to "niRFSG Write Arbitrary Waveform"? The samples are continuous, so what vi do we need to use to pass continuous data to write it?

You need the niRFSA ReadIQ function to read the data in from your device to your computer.  That is the function to set your device up to acquire data.  You may want to look at the RFSA Acquire Continuous IQ.vi example to see how to set up a continuous read for your VSA.

• Also, the there is one vi "niRFSG Write Arbitrary Waveform", which I guess writes an arbitrary waveform, but I did not find a vi which can write continuous data.  Can we use the "RFSG Write Waveform From File" to write a continuous data by changing the waveform type to 'CW' in the block diagram?

For streaming, there is an example called RFSG Arbitrary Waveform Streaming.vi.  This VI will let you continuously write a waveform from your RFSG device.

To do a continuous read/write between your VSA and VSG you will have to spend some time working on the code to get it exactly right.  The example you mentioned is a starting point, but probably will not do exactly what you need it to as it is right now.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,109 Views)

Sorry I did not add the vi in my post.

Thanks so much,

Sharmi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,105 Views)