From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF

Has anyone implemented an application, or know how, connecting the radio (RF) device to PXI using RS232/RS422 and CVI?

I will appreciate any submitted ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,726 Views)

What specific RF device are you hoping to connect? What PXI chassis and controller and modules do you have?

Nathan S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,713 Views)

I use SATEL Radio and PXI 1078, the connection between PXI and the Radio is via Rs 232.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,704 Views)

Hi Morsel,

It it really difficult to provide you assitance due to the lack of information we have. Can you go into more detail regarding which PXI cards you have in your PXI 1078 chassis, for instance are you using a Serial Card to connect your SATEL device (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/207738) via RS232? What PXI controller or MXI card are you using in this PXI chassis? Can you provide the model number of the device you are trying to use as well?

Furthermore there should be some CVI examples available to you. Please navigate to Start >> All Programs >> National Instruments >> VISA >> Examples >> CVI Examples. You may need to have NI VISA installed http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/catnav:du,n8:3.1637,ssnav:su... .

Regards,

Jason L. 

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,693 Views)

Jason,

The serial card is PXI-8431.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,690 Views)

Hi Morsel,

Please keep all information within the discussion forum post as opposed to PM'ing users directly. The following was your PM to me:

The task is to test the SATEL Radio  with PXI  via RS 232. the  PXI  is NI PXI-1078 and the card  for Rs 232 is PXI- 8430.

What I'm wondering was do I have to use PXI Signal analyzer with RF and Signal Generator with RFcard to be able to test the SATEL Radio? Or can I develope a Lab windows GUI to  test the Radio  connection via Rs 232?

Let me know if it is not clear

It is still unclear what kind of cards you would need for your application. This is because it is unclear what kind of tests you are trying to run. Please start by answering the following questions.

1. What is the model number of the SATEL Radio?
  2. What kind of tests are you going to be doing with your SATEL Radio? Are you going to perform tests On the SATEL Radio or are you going to perform tests WITH the SATEL Radio?
  3. Are you having trouble connecting your SATEL Radio and interacting with it in MAX? Since you have a serial card, you should use the NI-Serial Drivers.

You mention that you want to test the SATEL Radio via RS232. RS232 is just a way to communicate to your SATEL Radio, which is why it is unclear what you are trying to do. If you want to run tests ON the SATEL Radio, you would probably need another RF card to run those tests. If you want to use the SATEL Radio to make your tests, then you need to make sure that you can communicate with your device.

Regards,

Jason L.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,684 Views)
  • What is the model number of the SATEL Radio?

SATELLINE 3AS VH

• What kind of tests are you going to be doing with your SATEL Radio? Are you going to perform tests On the SATEL Radio or are you going to perform tests WITH the SATEL Radio?

perform tests On the SATEL Radio

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,676 Views)

Hi Morsel

With the information that you have been providing, it just seems like you are looking for examples of how to use your SATEL Device via RS232, in which case the NI forums is probably not the best place to be looking for information. I recommend contacting SATEL support to see if they have any examples readily available to you. 

Regards,

Jason L.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,668 Views)