From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query related Internal buffer storage in PXi 7965R DMA FIFO ?

Hello,

I am establishing a communcation from HOST to FPGA by using DMA-FIFO. Maximum size for this FIFO is 1024. Now from the host side, I am writing a data of 1-D array (Unsinged 64bit integer) into the fifo, and from FPGA side, this data is being read from the fifo. Now as i  start the simluation, the default value of "Empty elements remaining" shows "10,000". further as the elements inside the fifo starts getting to read (at FPGA side), the "Number of elements to read" increases and when it reaches the value of 1024, then the "empty elements remaining" starts decreasing. The behaviour is described in the image (atteached).

FIFO buffer.png

while observing this behaviour of the FIFO, i discovered that this DMA FIFO, (having max. storage elements of 1024) also has an (additional) internal storage space of 10,000 elements. I might call it as internal buffer of this FIFO. now my question here is that, where are these (10,000 elements) values stored ?. as it is from HOST side, so is it the CPU storage ? or what ?

Thanks 🙂

Anum Sheraz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,014 Views)

ok so I got my answer, its actually the default depth of the DMA FIFO. 

Maximum size of this FIFO is set to be 1023, which is coerced to a value of 1029. I did a mistake in the picture (posted in last msg), Here is the correct one; 

original.png

I've corrected the some of the figures. by noticing its behaviour, when the number of elements to read reaches 1027, then the remaining elementes starts decreasing from value of 10,000. and it reaches to max value of 11027 when remaining elements=0. I am confused with this figure "1027" !!! . why is this 1027 ? 

as I have assigned maximum size of this FIFO to be 1023, which is coerced to a value of 1029, so Shouldn't it be 1029 ?.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,980 Views)