From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pxie-8301 to laptop without Thunderbolt 3

Solved!
Go to solution

I am buying PXIe-8301 remote controller, but I can only afford a laptop without Thunderbolt 3 port. 

Can I connect PXIe-8301 controller to a laptop with NO Thunderbolt 3 port? Can I use some kind of adapter/card to realize this?

I have a old laptop with Thunderbolt 2 though. but will be prefer to use a new laptop.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,037 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jinghang

Hello jinghang,

It is not possible to connect to a PXIe-8301 controller without a Thunderbolt port (of any generation). Your laptop with Thunderbolt 2 will work, but you will require a "bi-directional" Thunderbolt adapter such as this one from Apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

Best regards,

Nick

Message 2 of 6
(3,026 Views)

VERY HELPFUL. THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,012 Views)

Hi Nick,

I have similar problem. In my case I brought PXIe-8301 PXI remote controller, but I don't have ThunderBolt-3 Port in my laptop. I miss understood the difference between USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 port and I ordered it.

I just wanted to give Try on below method to communicate to PXI Chassis, can you please check this method and provide your feedback.

Method:

Connect the Thunderbolt 3 port of the PXI module to "Thunderbolt 3 to High speed Ethernet Adopter" and connect the laptop through ethernet. in this way can I communicate to my PXIe chassis. Can you Please check this provide your feedback ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,

Santhosh M

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,609 Views)

Hello Santhosh,

The short answer is that will not work.
The "Thunderbolt 3 to High speed Ethernet Adapter" is meant to be used with a Thunderbolt 3 port of a computer (such as a laptop/desktop) to enable an Ethernet port for that computer. When this type of adapter is used with a PXIe-8301, it does not convert its main link to host into Ethernet. Similarly, you cannot use a Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter to convert the main link to host into HDMI. The only way to link to a PXIe-8301 is with a computer that has a Thunderbolt port of any generation. 

That said, once you link your laptop to a PXIe-8301 through Thunderbolt, these types of Thunderbolt 3 adapters can be used on the second port of the PXIe-8301 to link another device type (such as Ethernet / USB mouse / HDMI monitor).

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,607 Views)

Thanks for the clarification Nick

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,599 Views)