PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pxie-8301 to laptop without Thunderbolt 3

Solved!
Go to solution

I am buying PXIe-8301 remote controller, but I can only afford a laptop without Thunderbolt 3 port. 

Can I connect PXIe-8301 controller to a laptop with NO Thunderbolt 3 port? Can I use some kind of adapter/card to realize this?

I have a old laptop with Thunderbolt 2 though. but will be prefer to use a new laptop.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,987 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jinghang

Hello jinghang,

It is not possible to connect to a PXIe-8301 controller without a Thunderbolt port (of any generation). Your laptop with Thunderbolt 2 will work, but you will require a "bi-directional" Thunderbolt adapter such as this one from Apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

Best regards,

Nick

Message 2 of 6
(2,976 Views)

VERY HELPFUL. THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,962 Views)

Hi Nick,

I have similar problem. In my case I brought PXIe-8301 PXI remote controller, but I don't have ThunderBolt-3 Port in my laptop. I miss understood the difference between USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 port and I ordered it.

I just wanted to give Try on below method to communicate to PXI Chassis, can you please check this method and provide your feedback.

Method:

Connect the Thunderbolt 3 port of the PXI module to "Thunderbolt 3 to High speed Ethernet Adopter" and connect the laptop through ethernet. in this way can I communicate to my PXIe chassis. Can you Please check this provide your feedback ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,

Santhosh M

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,559 Views)

Hello Santhosh,

The short answer is that will not work.
The "Thunderbolt 3 to High speed Ethernet Adapter" is meant to be used with a Thunderbolt 3 port of a computer (such as a laptop/desktop) to enable an Ethernet port for that computer. When this type of adapter is used with a PXIe-8301, it does not convert its main link to host into Ethernet. Similarly, you cannot use a Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter to convert the main link to host into HDMI. The only way to link to a PXIe-8301 is with a computer that has a Thunderbolt port of any generation. 

That said, once you link your laptop to a PXIe-8301 through Thunderbolt, these types of Thunderbolt 3 adapters can be used on the second port of the PXIe-8301 to link another device type (such as Ethernet / USB mouse / HDMI monitor).

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,557 Views)

Thanks for the clarification Nick

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,549 Views)