From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pxi 1073 control from notebook

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using the PXI-1073, my setup consisted of a NI ExpressCard-8360 connected to the interface at the back of the chassis. I have upgraded my laptop and I am using a thunderbolt docking station. I no longer have the express card slot available.

Is there another way I can control the cards in the chassis from my laptop?

Thanks,

Valerie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,489 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Valgirl

Hi Valerie,

With Expresscard slot being phased out, the PXIe-8301 is the recommended solution for laptop control of PXI over Thunderbolt 3. However, that would also require you to use a PXI Express chassis (such as PXIe-1071) with a system controller slot.

Assuming your goal is to re-use your existing PXI-1073 chassis, you may consider these following options, although we do not officially support them:

#1 Use a Thunderbolt 3 legacy adapter (i.e. Startech TBT3TBTADAP) to link with a Thunderbolt to ExpressCard adapter from Sonnet (Echo ExpressCard Pro), and re-use your existing NI ExpressCard-8360.

#2 Use a Thunderbolt 3 to PCI Express enclosure (i.e. AKiTiO Thunder3 PCIe Box) with a MXI x1 PCIe remote controller (i.e. PCIe-8361)

I was able to recreate setup #1 with a PXI-1033 chassis, so I believe it should also work with your 1073 as well.

Best regards,
Nick

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,464 Views)

Many thanks Nick.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,432 Views)