cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse generation

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have two NI PXI devices, one is NI PXI-5441, the other is NI PXIe-5652. I am just wondering whether it is possible to use these two devices to generate pulse signal. I check the mannual for PXI-5441, this device can generate square wave at up to 25MHz. PXIe-5662 can generate signal at 500KHz to 6GHz. Can I use the square wave to modulate the signal(coming from PXIe-5662), to get the pulse??

Can anyone give me some advice about this??

Many thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,184 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin26

Hello Kevin,

Quite a late response but perhaps you will still be able to use this info.

First off all, I think you made a typo and instead of 5662 meant 5652. I base my answer on you using 5652 and 5441. So the ultimate answer to your question is - no, you cannot do that.

Here is why: the 5652 is not able to be triggered as well as not able to receive an external modulation. It is stated in the specification for this device that REF in Frequency must be 10 MHz which is an analogue wave is used as a frequency reference.

The question would be - how do you want your pulse wave to look in the end? Because 5652 can be modulated using On-Off Keying (OOK) with a User-defined Modulation waveform type which uses 1024 samples.

If this is not sufficient, you can  use an external switch such as a relay (such as from Mini-circuits) switch controlled by 5441 and set it to switch the 5652 on and off to get the pulse.

Here is the specifications document I was talking about:
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/375087b.pdf

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,070 Views)

Dear rmarcink,

Thanks for your reply and useful information. Now, I know how to operate the NI PXIe-5652 with pulse generation. 

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,059 Views)