From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming a FlexRIO FPGA module from computer?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am new to LabVIEW and National Instruments equipment. I have a FlexRIO FPGA module PXIe-7965R and a RF Transceiver 5791.

To use this equipment, do I need to have a chassis (to put my FPGA in), or can I simply program the FPGA from my computer (with a cable)?

Joao

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,562 Views)

Hi Joao,

You will need a PXIe-Chassis to put your FlexRIO board into, you will also need a PXIe-controller to communicate with the board in the chassis.

The Chassis is the backbone of your PXI system and can either be a of PXI, PXI Express or Integrated chassis and controller type.

The Controller can be an Embedded Controller, which basically is a computer running Windows/Linux or RTOS. This eliminates the need of an external computer.

The Controller can also be a Remote Controller which gives the ability to directly control the system from a Desktop, Laptop or a Rack-mount Controller.

Read more about the PXI Platform here:

http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/ap/global/lang/sv/pg/1/sn/n24:PXI-FSLASH-CompactPCI/fmid/3/

Best regards,

Klas

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,542 Views)

Hey,

Thank for the explanation. 

But if you go to: Create Project>>Templates>>LabVIEW FPGA Project, there is a "FlexRIO on my Computer" option and >>Create new system, and there is this FGPA there, i.e., PXIe-7965R. 

So I guess there should be a way to connect this FPGA to the PC somehow.

Joao

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,522 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author joaorob

Hi Joao,

You will still need at least a PXIe-chassis with a controller. The PXIe-7965R board is like a PCIe board only a different form factor. You need put it in a PXIe Slot like you need to put a PCIe board in a PCIe Slot.

I would suggest to try the PXI Advisor to see what type of systems you can use. PXI Advisors

Choose your board under Modules, then only supported Chassis and Controllers will be available.

When you choose to create a LabVIEW project with the FlexRIO board(FPGA target) under My Computer, you specifiy that you will use the FPGA target with a Windows Host.

Here is an introduction to LabVIEW FPGA Webcast:

http://www.ni.com/webcast/240/en/

Best regards,

Klas Andersson

National Instruments

Support

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,504 Views)