PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem MXI-4 with chassis 1042 shows connection to this chassis timed out.

Hello,

I am having problems connecting to a PXI chassis via MXI-4, PCI/PXI-8331.

The LINK-LED's are both dark and there are several things I am not understanding, so let's start from the beginning...

ASUS D510MT desktop computer with:

Windows 7, 64 bit

MAX 14.5

PXI Platform Services Configuration 14.0

PXI Platform Services Runtime 14.0

DAQmx Device Drivers 14.0

VISA 14.0

The machine is running German language, so bear with me if the translations are not quite right.

1. Resetting NI configurations in MAX, exit and shutdown.

2. Installing PCI-8331 card in the PC and starting.

3. In Windows Device Manager theNI MXI Devices/MXI-4 Connection Monitor can be found and under System Devices are two "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" entries. See attached screenshot.

4. Starting MAX and expanding "Devices and Interfaces" shows one "PXI-MXI-4", one "MXI-4 Connection Monitor ..." and one "Chassis (Unidentified)". Expanding the Chassis reveals "1: PXI-MXI-4 (Remote Control)". Note that the chassis is not connected at this point.

However, there is no "PXI System" sub-group to be found. Should there not be, even if the PXI chassis is not connected? Since there is no "PXI System", it is not possible to identify it as "External PC".

For the "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" listed in the Windows Device Manager, what drivers should be listed? NI or Microsoft?

Connecting the PCI-8331 to the PXI-8331 in the chassis does not change the symptoms much. No LINK light, only PWR. Still no "PXI Systems" entry under Devices and Interfaces.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

/ Jonas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,013 Views)

Sorry for the confusing title of this thread. It should be "Problems with MXI-4 communication". Something must have gone wrong when pasting the title text into the browser.

/ Jonas

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,982 Views)

Jonas,

When the chassis is connected are you powering it up before the PC?  You'll need to do that (or reboot the PC after powering on the chassis) or it won't link.  If you do that and still don't get link lights then the hardware is bad.

In device manager, the PCI-to-PCI bridges should have Microsoft drivers.  If you change to "View -> devices by connection" then it will be a hierarchical view and you'll see the MXI-4 bridge at the same level as the MXI-4 connection monitor.  MXI-4 only shows 1 bridge, so the other one you're seeing is for something else.

The chassis in your MAX picture has a red 'X' because it's not present/connected.  MAX knows there should be a chassis because MXI-4 is present.

Please verify that you're using a MXI-4 cable, not a serial port cable.  If you look at one of the ends of the cable there should only be 4 pins.  If all 9 are there then you've got a serial cable, and it won't work.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,978 Views)

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the helpful reply.

The power up sequence is correct and the cable only uses the four pins according to the pinout shown here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/PXI/mxi-4-pinout/td-p/1906211

There is no LINK-light, so most likely a hardware problem. I am currently trying to locate the problem, hence my slow reply.

Two questions to help troubleshooting...

1. If testing the PCI-8331 without connecting to the PXI-8331; should there be activity on the TX-output during any part of the startup of the computer?

2. ...and the other way around, testing the PXI chassis with the PXI-8331 alone; should there be activity on the TX-output?

Thanks in advance!

/ Jonas

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,929 Views)

Jonas,

The RX and TX lights may flash when you first turn on the PC or chassis.  The TX outputs themselves will be transmitting a detect/training pattern.  It's been a while since I've used MXI-4, so I don't remember the specifics.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,925 Views)

I am having the same problem with PXI 1031 with 8331 pxi & pci

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,829 Views)