cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer-to-peer network, PC to PXI system

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Everyone, 

We are trying to control a PXIe-1095 system with PXIe 8840 ( Quad Core, Windows 10 64-bit) controller via a PC host that runs an embedded control and monitoring software suite. The LV version is 19b and we have the real time modules installed. We are executing the hardware connection using a crossover LAN cable.

In principle, we should be able to detect the PXI system via the MAX once the PXI system is switched on. However we are unable to detect the PXI system. We have followed various ways to sort this problem including what is suggested in other forum threads and on the NI website

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P70YSAS&l=de-DE

However, we are still unsuccessful in establishing the connection. Can you suggest how to solve this problem? I will provide further details if needed.

Thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,959 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MasterMik

If the PXIe-8840 embedded controller has a version of Windows on it, it cannot be treated the same way as if it had a Real Time OS on it, like Phar-Lap or LinuxRT. A controller with Windows is essentially just another computer on the network. You can login remotely to execute code with Windows Remote Desktop Connection, but you cannot deploy code to it or control it from MAX on a different computer with a LAN cable. 

If you're new to a real time OS, you can review this Whitepaper for more info:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/innovations/white-papers/07/what-is-a-real-time-operating-system--rtos--.ht...

Message 2 of 3
(1,915 Views)

Hello Captain_K,

I have also run into the same problem as MasterMik and therefore greatly appreciated your answer! However, I would like to ask a bit further, because together with the NI PXIe-8820, I have installed a PXIe-6363 Multifunction I/O module in a NI PXIe-1082 chassis. I can control the 6363 using the PXIe-8820 armed with a monitor and a keyboard, however it would certainty be beneficial for me if I could reach the PXIe-6363 using my HP ProBook 430 G3 (running on Windows 10 Educational) without having to use Windows Remote Desktop. I have connected the HP to the PXIe-8820 via an Ethernet cable, but cannot, as MasterMik, detect any of the PXI modules in the HP's MAX. Even though I "cannot deploy code to it [PXIe-8820] or control it from MAX on a different computer with a LAN cable", as you write, can I control the PXIe-6363, while connected "through" the PXIe-8820, so to speak?

Is this possible when using only a LAN connection, or would I need a Real Time OS, or does it not work at all? In other words, is the computer on the PXIe-8820 the only one able to control the PXIe-6363?

Please let me know if you would need further details! Thanks in advance,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,316 Views)