PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXImc Desktop Target Hardware Configuration

Hello NI Users,

I would like to build up a testbench by using PXImc with an PXIe-chassis (1082) and a Desktop Target (PCIe-8381), both running Pharlap ETS 13.1.

Unfortunatly I need a special hardware configuration for my x86. You can see the minimum requirements below:

• CPU: 4 real cores or bigger (without HT)
  • PCIe 8x-Slot (or bigger)
  • PCIe 4x-Slot (or bigger)
  • PCIe 1x-Slot (or bigger) in case the ethernet adapter is not supported
  • PCI-Slot

We tried a configuration with an DELL OptiPlex 9020. The motherboard has an Intel® Q87 Express Chipset. And we tried it on another motherboard with an Intel® Q67 Express Chipset. Both had the two problems mentioned below

Other x86 Desktop Computers from around 2009 with a DualCore CPU can establish the connection and PXImc works fine. But the boards we tested did not have the required PCI-Slots.

Problems:

1. One core of the x86 is stuck at 100% if the PXImc cards (PXIe-8383mc and PCIe-8381) are connected.
  2. Both targets can't establish the PXImc connection to the PXI-chassis. We can find the PCIe-8381 in MAX but not the PXI-8383mc (When using the older x86 we can see both the 8381 and the 8383 in the x86 target in MAX)

Based on information given by a NI Support Member our installation process was:

1. Install Pharlap, LabView RT 14 and PXImc 14.0.0 with the cards removed from the pc
  2. Install PCIe8381 and connect to PXIe8383mc
  3. Boot into Pharlap

So I need your help, who of you works succesfully with PXImc and which motherboard/chipsets/hardware configurations are you using?

I have been on the reguirement page of NI http://www.ni.com/white-paper/8239/en/#toc5 but under the point Motherboard the Informations does not help at all.

I'm looking forward on your recommendations.

Thanks

Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,130 Views)

Hi Andreas

I can help you with your issues. I had some questions to better understand the issues you are facing:

1. When you say PXImc works fine on other systems, can you successfully run a PXImc app or PXImc LabVIEW example and transfer data between the two systems?
  2. On the system where you are seeing the issues, does a core get stuck at 100% just upon booting the system or if you try to use the PXImc hardware?
  3. If a core hits 100% just upon booting, can you check what happens if you uninstall PXImc software on the other side and connect the two sides?

Regards,
Shreyas B.
Staff Software Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,112 Views)

Hello Shreyas,

Answer for Q1: Yes, we can succesfully work with PXImc with the older motherboard architecturs.

Answer for Q2: The core stucks at 100 % after the ethernet card gots the IP adress and when finished booting the 100 % still remain. Is it possible that the 100% comes from the fact that the PXImc connection should be built but can not be established?

Answer for Q3: The core shows the 100 % after booting so not really only during the boot process.

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,092 Views)

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the information. Most of our engineers are out of the office due to the holidays. We will look into this issue in January, 2015.

Regards,
Shreyas B.
Staff Software Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,049 Views)

Hi Shreyas,

thanks for the reply and I'm looking forward for your answers.

I added an image where you can see the working older x86 target with a given device name "PXIMC1".

NIScreen.PNG

This Picture is additional to our described problem nr. 2 (Both targets can't establish the PXImc connection to the PXI-chassis. We can find the PCIe-8381 in MAX but not the PXI-8383mc (When using the older x86 we can see both the 8381 and the 8383 in the x86 target in MAX))

Regards,

Andreas E.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,943 Views)

Hi Shreyas,

are there any news on our probblem?

Best regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,848 Views)

Hello Andreas,

I work with ShreyasB in NI R&D, and wanted to let you know that the issue is being looked in to but may take some time to reproduce, debug, and fully understand the nature of the problem.  

That said, if you'd like a more proactive communnication channel, feel free to reach out to NI's technical support group (ni.com/support) and let them know of this forum thread.  The technical support department is more structured than our forums in that regard.  Otherwise, we'll try and keep you updated as things move forward.

Best,

Chris D.

PXI Platform Product Support Engineer

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,784 Views)