From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe1088/PXIe-8880 Remote Control Requirements

I have a PXIe-1088 chassis with PXIe-8880 controller and would prefer to interact with the system via a Windows-based PC. I believe I need a Remote Control Module to do that (something like the PXIe-8301), but don't explictly see a compatibility table indicating it would work with the 1088 and when I try to use the NI Configuration Advisor, it only allows me to add either the PXIe-8880 or PXIe-8301, not both. Can I assume the 8301 works with any PXIe chassis and controller module?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,051 Views)

To clarify, PXIe-8880 is a controller, in other words, it is an industrial rugged PC. Having said this, you would not need another computer to control a computer.

You directly connect the monitor, keyboard, ethernet to the PXIe8880 and start using it as a PC that can directly control the PXI instruments in the chassis.

You go for PXIe-8301 when you don't want to invest in a PXI controller and not when you already have one. PXI controller is the best and highest performance means to interact with the PXI modules.

Both PXIe-8880 and PXIe-8301 plug into the system controller slot (which is only one per chassis), this means you can have either this or that but not both.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(995 Views)

Thanks, santo_13. Does that still hold true if I'm needing to operate the 8880 as a real-time controller? The thread below seemed relevant.

Connecting PXI-8880 to Labtop via Ethernet - NI Community

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(993 Views)

I am not familiar with RT/Linux on the PXI controller but given the HW is still similar to the windows version, you would have to control this over the network. 

If it were a windows controller, it would have been simple as logging into a computer over RDP/VNC/TeamViewer and doing whatever is required.

Based on details from the below link, you would have to add the RT controller as a remote system in NI MAX of the laptop from which you want to control it.
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019LSXSA2&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(972 Views)