PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe SMU remote sensing capabilities

hello,

I was wondering if NI's PXIe SMU line has the option of validating remote sense continuity.  Keithley SMUs refer to this as a "contact check" where the resistance is evaluated from "Force High to Sense High" and again from "Force Low to Sense Low", thereby verifying that the 4-wire connection exists at the Load and that the resistance is below a desired threshold.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,840 Views)

Hi proland1121,

You can read more about our SMUs' remote sensing capabilities here.

Lindsey Nestor
Program Manager, Hardware Services
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,810 Views)

Hi Lindsey,

Thanks for the reply but that general information page doesn't provide the level of detail required to answer the question.  My main concern is the section which states "Configuring a channel for remote sense operation without connecting the sense leads to the DUT can result in measurements that do not meet the published specifications. If a channel is configured for remote sense and the remote sense leads are left open, the channel may source a voltage higher than the voltage level or voltage limit.

If I am using a probe card with 4 pins and the pin for Sense High becomes bent due to wear,operator error, or manufacturing error, the situation of "sense lead left open" occurs.  Is there a way to detect this scenario?  Measuring resistance between the Force/Sense pairs would identify such a scenario, but I haven't seen any such function in the NI-DC Power functions.

If no such function exists, I think i'll probably have to add in a switch matrix and a DMM (to measure resistance) for performing periodic checks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,804 Views)

To my knowledge, the NI-DC Power driver doesn't have any built-in functions that monitor those connections continuously. The switch + DMM application you mentioned seems like a good alternative.

Lindsey Nestor
Program Manager, Hardware Services
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,787 Views)

Some NI SMUs (including PXIe-4135 and PXIe-4137) have this capability. It's called sense lead error detection.

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370736U01/ni_dc_power_supplies_help/senseleaderrordetection...

Matthew Curtis

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,017 Views)