cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-PCIe8371 not working correctly

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm using a PXIe-8370 MXIe card to control a PXIe-1065 chassis from a Dell R5400 workstation using a PCIe-8371. The Dell is running Windows 7 and I have the most up-to-date MAX and PXI platform services installed (provided with 2010 DS2 quarterly update discs). However, when I open MAX none of my PXI device(s) appear (I have one PXI-5922 with more coming). The PXIe device(s) are working (I only have a PXIe-5442 right now). I'm not sure why the PXI devices wouldn't be working but attached is a screenshot of my device manager. I'm getting a "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system." error for several PCI-PCI bridge drivers as well as the SMBus.

I've read some of the various knowledgebase articles pertaining to MXIe controller errors like this but they seemed outdated and didn't fully apply to my situation. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Tim

Hello,

I'm using a PXIe-8370 MXIe card to control a PXIe-1065 chassis from a Dell R5400 workstation using a PCIe-8371. The Dell is running Windows 7 and I have the most up-to-date MAX and PXI platform services installed (provided with 2010 DS2 quarterly update discs). However, when I open MAX none of my PXI device(s) appear (I have one PXI-5922 with more coming). The PXIe device(s) are working (I only have a PXIe-5442 right now). I'm not sure why the PXI devices wouldn't be working but here is a screenshot of my device manager. I'm getting a "

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system." error for several PCI-PCI bridge drivers as well as the SMBus.

Hello,

I'm using a PXIe-8370 MXIe card to control a PXIe-1065 chassis from a Dell R5400 workstation using a PCIe-8371. The Dell is running Windows 7 and I have the most up-to-date MAX and PXI platform services installed (provided with 2010 DS2 quarterly update discs). However, when I open MAX none of my PXI device(s) appear (I have one PXI-5922 with more coming). The PXIe device(s) are working (I only have a PXIe-5442 right now). I'm not sure why the PXI devices wouldn't be working but here is a screenshot of my device manager. I'm getting a "

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system." error for several PCI-PCI bridge drivers as well as the SMBus.

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

You don’t stop running because you get old. You get old because you stop running. -Jack Kirk, From "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,487 Views)

Hi Tim,

We have seen this issue if Card Bus is installed on the system, as seen in this KnowledgeBase article.  Please follow the procedure to remove CardBus if it is present.

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,474 Views)

Tim,

If you don't have the NI CardBus-8310 driver on your system, you may want to try the MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility software.  It works around a lot of these situations where the BIOS doesn't configure things the way Windows would like.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1422/lang/en

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,470 Views)

Thank you for the input. I do not have CardBus installed on this system so I will post back when I get the chance to try out the MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility software.

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

You don’t stop running because you get old. You get old because you stop running. -Jack Kirk, From "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,465 Views)

Well...The MXIe BIOS Compatibility software did not work for me. I'm still getting the Error 12 not enough resources message in Device Manager for the items shown with caution signs in my previously posted image. I made sure to set the card in Mode-1 like the readme says and followed the rest of the compatibility software installation procedures but no luck. I followed the Troubleshooting section of the readme and looked into the Windows Event Logs but there was no additional information in there about any errors with the "nimxiecompatk" source. I'm not sure what else to try...

Maybe this is a new issue to get support on?

Just to reiterate my setup: Dell R5400 workstation -> PCIe-8371 -> PXIe-8370 -> PXIe-1065 chassis (with a PXI-5922 in slot 2 and PXIe-5442 in slot 7)

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,442 Views)

Also, I found this KB http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BF84B75E08D2A7708625763B00670007?OpenDocument and ran the MXIeBusDetect.exe. According to it, there shouldn't be any problems with using MXIe or the compatibility software. 

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,440 Views)

Can you take a screen shot in MAX on your devices and interfaces fully expanded, as well as your software tab pertaining to all DAQmx and PXI Platform software?  This will help to identify any problems as well.  Do you have a yellow exclamation point on your MXI connection in MAX for your PXI system?  Please show all of your PXI bridges in MAX as well. 

Best,

Adam
Academic Product Manager
National Intruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,387 Views)

Hi Adam,

I've attached a MAX report html file that shows how my MAX is laid out. I verified the contents of the report and they match what taking screenshots of MAX would show.

I have an NI support ticket currently since none of the solutions posted have worked for me thus far. The support number is 1580325 in case you want it for reference. I'm actually going to be testing the setup with a different chassis today to see if that can resolve the issue. If not, I will have to see if I can try a different PC but that won't be as easy for me.

Regards,

Tim

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,375 Views)

Tim,

I found an R5400 and plugged in an NI PCIe-8372 connected to an NI PXIe-8370 in a 1065 chassis.  I don't see any problems with it.  I'm attaching a screenshot of device manager showing devices by connection.  This is a clean Win7 64-bit install, so there aren't any NI drivers for the SMBus controller.

Can you verify that your NI PCIe-8371 is rev B?  There should be a 194591B-02 number on it, where the "B" is the revision.  I ask this because it's surprising that you get the same results with and without the BIOS compatibility software, and I'd like to make sure your hardware supports it.

I've got BIOS A05 (the latest) on this machine.  I notice that if right-click the bridge below the chipset port (when viewing by connection in device manager; the chipset port is labelled "Intel(R) 5400 Chipset PCI Express Port 5 - 4025", and the port below it is "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge") and uninstall it, then reboot, the first boot gives an error on one of the bridges and I'm missing most of the chassis bridges.  After a second reboot they all show up like in the image I've attached.

I'd also be interested in seeing a device manager screenshot by connection to see what bridges have a problem.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,362 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TimS.

Hi Robert,

I was actually able to finally resolve this issue by swapping PCIe slots in the Dell R5400. I didn't check the rev on the PCIe-8371 since there is no need now.

Original PCI Slot configuration (Error code 12 in device manager for some devices)

Expansion Slot 1, PCIe v1.0a x8: PCIe-8371, PCIe-MXIe adapter

Expansion Slot 2, PCI-X: empty

Expansion Slot 3, PCIe v1.0a x16: NVIDIA Quadro 295, graphics card

Expansion Slot 4, PCIe v1.0a x16: Intel X520-DA2, Dual Port 10GbE adapter

New PCI Slot Configuration (All devices recognized successfully in Device Manager as well as MAX)

Expansion Slot 1, PCIe v1.0a x8: Intel X520-DA2, Dual Port 10GbE adapter

Expansion Slot 2, PCI-X: empty

Expansion Slot 3, PCIe v1.0a x16: NVIDIA Quadro 295, graphics card

Expansion Slot 4, PCIe v1.0a x16: PCIe-8371, PCIe-MXIe adapter

At first I was hesitant about putting the 10GbE adapter in the x8 slot since these are PCIe v1.0a. After doing the calculations I should still have the full 10GbE bandwidth on that slot (I'm only using 1 port of the 10GbE adapter). I guess I should have tried that sooner when it was first suggested.

Regards,

Tim

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,354 Views)