From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe- 8135 OS update

Solved!
Go to solution

I was able to update to Windows 10 an PXIe-8133 and PXIe-8135. It was straightforward.

The trick was to start with Windows 7 working on the module (HAS to be 64 bits version), and then updating to Windows 10.

I started one module with original installation on Win 7 and the other had 32bit version, so I installed a fresh Win 7 64bit, updated with the updater bought on eBay, and both unit have been resold to a customer of mine. Very Happy indeed from getting these two devices in Windows 10 v1909 for a very cheap price.

One for the team!

Gaston

OptoElectronicsRefurbish@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,294 Views)

I just upgraded my NI PXIe-8135 controller to Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (from a MediaCreationTool ISO on a bootable USB stick), and it all worked fine. I didn't need the old Windows 7 additional driver package that NI provides at https://www.ni.com/en-gb/support/downloads/software-products/download.pxie-8135-firmware-and-additio... because Windows 10 already comes with almost all the required drivers.

There were only two unknown devices listed in the Device Manager after I had also installed the usual NI PXI Platform Support package, NI 488.2 GPIB driver, and the drivers for all my PXIe modular instruments. One was a "NIC7019 Trigger Router" for which there is a Windows 10 compatible driver available at https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000015AWVSA2&l=en-GB and the other was for an "Intel Management Engine interface", for which Windows Update offered me a suitable driver as an optional update. (NI's Windows 7 additional drivers ZIP would also have had an older version of that Intel driver.)

So so far the only reason that I can think of why the NI PXIe-8135 might not be officially supported for Windows 10 is that Intel says that their Ivy Bridge generation of CPUs is supported for Windows 10 only for updates: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(828 Views)

We work with an image of WIN10 that we put on a disk. This disk is using the Windows UEFI boot but is not available in the BIOS. So at the end, the disk is not recognized as a WIN10 disk but just a non-bootable disk.

We have also many PXIe-8840 where this UEFI is supported in the BIOS. There we have no issues with this disk image.

Anyone an idea how to solve this for PXIe-8135?

Thanks

Wouter

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(566 Views)

Wouter,

There appears to be no mention at all of "UEFI" in either the user manual or the BIOS setup utility of the PXIe-8135, so I would assume it is still an old-fashioned pure BIOS device, without any UEFI or GPT partition support in its firmware. You will have to do either a fresh Windows 10 install (as I did without any problems, see above) from a USB stick that has a traditional BIOS bootloader and MBR partition table (made with Media Creation Tool or Rufus), or if you want to just drop in a disk image, you have to prepare another such disk image on some machine in pure BIOS mode (with MBR partition table).

(Lack of UEFI support also means that Windows 11 won't install. Luckily, NI has started in 2018 to provide Linux versions of their PXI drivers, so a switch to a Linux distribution supported by these drivers is is now also an option for keeping the PXIe-8135 alive for long after the end of Windows 10 support.)

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(557 Views)