cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe- 8135 OS update

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, everyone!

I have one NI PXIe 8135 in a NI PXIe- 1062Q chassis which runs on windows 7 and uses LabVIEW 2011. I want to upgrade it to windows 10. Can anyone suggest me how to do it and what steps should I go through? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,719 Views)

Hello!

Here is some information on upgrading the OS of your PXIe controller:

Change or Update the Windows OS on PXI(e) Controller
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7ZsSAK&l=en-US

However, LabVIEW 2011 is not supported on Windows 10 as you can see here:

LabVIEW and Microsoft Windows Compatibility
http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53409/en/

LabVIEW 2011 VI's should open successfully in newer versions, but there is no guarantee that they will run properly without some editing. You can find some more info on this here:

How to Upgrade or Revert a VI to a Different Version of LabVIEW
http://www.ni.com/tutorial/8387/en/

Hope this helps!

Levi D.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,666 Views)

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback. But I had gone through the links that you mentioned already. Somehow it feels like there is no concrete evidence that it worked. I am not sure which difficulties I will face when installing.

I know that the chip in the PXIe 1062Q (Intel Core i7 3610 QE) supports windows 10 64-bit. I know that after updating I will install Labview 2018. My question is whether there is any step by step manual on how to go through the process (from updating the OS to fully running system)? I think it is risky to go for the update (although I need it badly) without considering all the factors.

Muhtady 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,655 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Muhaisin

National Instruments does not officially support upgrading your OS to Windows 10 so unfortunately we do not have any official step by step guides for this process. Based on what you've said so far, I don't see any reason you should have issues upgrading, but I'm not able to guarantee anything or provide any specific instructions. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help! Hopefully the community may be able to provide some recommendations. 

Levi D.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,644 Views)

We are having to update to Windows 10 also.  We have updated with some success but the display driver would not update and it reverted to the default driver.  If we can not find a driver that will work chances are we will go away from using embedded computers because of the cost to keep them updated and working.  Please help find a driver that will work.  PXIe-8135 getting Windows 10 Enterprise.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,493 Views)

Bob,

Arrived here while researching the topic of OS updates for our PXIe-8135s.  From what I read here, and from Intel's compatibility website, looks like a jump to Win10-x64 is doable, though not supported by NI.  Your comment about graphics drivers concerns me, however.

The one 8135 I have in front of me at present says it is using drivers (Win7-x64) for a AMD Radeon E6460.  AMD shows Win 10-x64 support for this embedded chipset with their AMD Catalyst Windows® 32/64-bit Display Driver release (15.201.1701, 10/20/2015).

Do your 8135s have the same graphics chipset, and if so, have you tried this driver?

Thanks,

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,418 Views)

Morning David,

I worked with NI to find a solution to this and at this point we have not found one.  I had them close the ticket.  We are buying new computers off the shelf and using mxi interface to run the older chassis, we hope.  If you find a solution that works let us know.  The computer runs fine but display is lower rez than we need.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,411 Views)

Sorry but forgot to mention that we can not connect to the internet.  We cannot use normal paths to do updates or even web browsing. 

One solution that keeps coming up was to use Windows Update to look for the correct driver.  If that works I would like to  know.  I tried finding the driver that update would push but either I got the wrong one or it does not work either.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,409 Views)

Hmm.  Are you able to copy a driver release (downloaded to an internet-connected desktop) onto a USB drive and present that to your embedded controller?  If so, would be interested to know if the driver release I found might get you out of "low rez hell".

Direct link here

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,401 Views)

Yes and best I can remember I tried the one you are suggesting and about 4 others.  None actually loaded and said something to the effect of, driver is not compatible"  Feel free to try for yourself though.  Sometimes I just have a bad day 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,398 Views)