From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-8135 Displayport & USB

Hi,

I hope to upgrade my current controller to PXIe-8135RT. My application requires me to have at least four display output (VGA, DVI or HDMI). So now, I have these questions:

1. Since the controller will run in RT, how do I make use of the two displayports on the controller? I don't need to display fancy graphic, just some custom black & white shapes. Can I use the tools in NI Vision, or is there a more suitable tool to do this?

2. The controller also have four USB ports as well as two super-speed USB ports. Besides for connecting USB thumbdrives, can I use the super-speed USB ports to connect to my USB-to-VGA video adapter?

3. Assuming that the answers to the above two questions are NO, will the circumstances change if I use NI HyperVisor (I've seen demos but haven't used one myself)? Perhaps, 3 cores and 3 GB of RAM for RT and 1 core and 1GB of RAM for Windows.

Please advice.

Shazlan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,472 Views)

Any takers?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,434 Views)

For #1 and #2, I am not aware of a way that you can use four monitors with distinct output on a dedicated PXI RT controller, and I don't think that USB-VGA adapters are supported.

For #3, RT Hypervisor might be a solution for your application, but there are some caveats.  Different I/O resources (like the video output, the USB ports, or the PXIe slots) are dedicated to each of the two OSs, and video is typically routed to the Windows OS.  However, the basis for determing what resources can go to which OS gets complicated, so I would encourage you to review some of the existing white papers on RT Hypervisor if you are still interested in this approach.  See here, here, or here.

To give you an example, Hypervisor is intended for applications where you wish to do a portion of the I/O on each OS, and I think that at a minimum 25% of your PXIe slots must be assigned to the Windows OS.  If all you need Windows for is to provide multi-monitor support, you might want to consider alternatives that keep the real-time processing and display on separate controllers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,421 Views)