From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-8133 vs PXI RT Controller

I am wondering what type of hardware I would need to use for a DAQ project. I have a PXIe-1075 chassis with a PXIe-8133 controller on hand but I don't have a lot of experience with with DAQ applications so I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice.

There will be 70 to 80 analog input channels being sampled at 1kHz with filtering to eliminate high frequency noise. There will also be a PID loop controlled at 5Hz and data being logged to tdms files and displayed on charts on the front panel updated at 5Hz.

Is there a good chance that the 8133 controller with LabVIEW will be able to handle the task or is this something that is likely going to need a RTOS controller? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,960 Views)

For the PID, it is probably best to go with an RT system.  But that really depends on how deterministic you need the PID loop to be (ie how accurate of the 5Hz do you need).

How many output channels do you need?

On the surface, I would probably just get a USB-6225 (80 AI, 2 AO) and then you can just use a good PC.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(2,954 Views)

Thanks for replying. I think I will only have a single output channel.

I was just trying to get an idea of whether the hardware I have available would have a good chance of being sufficient before I spent a lot of time writing code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,935 Views)