PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-8105 connecting Ethernet shuts off

Hello, 

I have a strange situation in which my PXIe-1062Q chassis with PXIe-8105 embedded controller decides to shut off (or have a flaky power connection) when I plug in an ethernet cable. After a few seconds of it being plugged in, the "PWR OK" green LED begins to flicker on and off at a non-constant rate. The monitor I have connected goes blank as if the device has been powered off. When I unplug the ethernet cable, the device restarts and behaves as normal. Note that this only seems to occur with ethernet cables that are connected to a network - I tried a cable that was just open on the other end and nothing went wrong. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,434 Views)

Update: I've discovered that it actually shuts itself off randomly, not just when ethernet is connected. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,414 Views)

Update: the device resets even if I plug in a network-connected ethernet cable to a ethernet-to-USB port. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,408 Views)

Hi anewsome,

Is it possible for you to try your PXIe-8105 controller in a different chassis?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,397 Views)

I can try and was planning on doing that. We have four in total but they're all in use at the moment. I'll try this ASAP (and try a different controller in this chassis) and see what happens. Stay posted, and thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,394 Views)

Luke, 

It seems to be my chassis that is the problem. I tried the controller in a different working chassis and it worked fine. I tried a known working controller in this chassis and it started up, but the second I plugged an ethernet cable in, the PWR OK LED started flashing and it shut down. 

Any idea on why this might happen? We're an electronics company so if there's a simple fix we can do in-house we'd like to try it. Unfortunately we purchased the device used so I don't think it is under any kind of warranty, and sending it to NI to get fixed would likely cost as much as buying another used one. 

Thanks, 

Adam 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,374 Views)

Hi Adam,

I'm not sure why you would be experiencing this behavior.  I'm going to do some more research on the issue and see if I can find out more, but my guess is that there won't be a simple fix.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,360 Views)

Luke, 

Thanks - I would appreciate you looking into it. In the meantime we have just ordered another chassis. If we can fix it eventually that would be great though. Let me know if you need any more info. 

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,358 Views)