PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-8031 in PXIe-1082 causing Driver Verifier DMA Violation BSOD on Win10

Hello!

Thank you for this. Updated the PXI Platform Services to 20.7 and everything is good

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 33
(2,056 Views)

Great news!  Thanks to all for your patience.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 33
(2,048 Views)

Hello! Has this issue been resolved? I'm currently using a PXIe-1088 chassis with a 8301 controller card and a 4496 card. Connected to the chassis is a Alienware Area 51m laptop that has DMA Kernel Protection turned on. None of the suggested methods for disabling this feature exist in the bios on this specific computer. I've searched every setting in BIOS and there's no way to disable this function.

So far, anytime I try and collect data in NI MAX, I get the BSOD with the DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION stop code. I'm also running NI Platform Services 20.7 and DAQmx 21.0. Is there a planned work around that allows thunderbolt equipped computers to function with PXI systems while DMA Kernel protection is turned on? After a lot of research it seems the the drivers do not have a DMA remapping policy property... please advise!

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 33
(1,837 Views)

No permanent fix just yet.

On your laptop, can you try disabling Virtualization and VT for Direct I/O in the BIOS? This should give us the same end result of a working system.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 33
(1,808 Views)

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I've tried finding the Virtualization settings in the BIOS but they're not showing up under Advanced settings. I've read a couple articles online stating that it's not a supported option to modify in the BIOS on our Alienware computer... I've scoured every BIOS setting and haven't found anything yet.

If anything changes, please let us know. Our PXIe-1088 is just collecting dust waiting for a work around!

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 33
(1,798 Views)

I think an easier option would be to grab or buy an Intel NUC or another laptop with thunderbolt so that you can put your 1088 to use.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 33
(1,791 Views)

That's a possibility we are exploring. It's unfortunate because we intentionally purchased this laptop for interfacing with the 1088 due to it's memory/processor specs. Our demand for this kind of device stems from requirements of high sampling rates on large channel counts. If we would've known the 8301 thunderbolt controller isn't compatible with devices with Kernel DMA Protection enabled, we would've proceeded with a different kind of laptop! To be fair, we also didn't know our device would have this setting enabled permanently. 

If NI is actively working on a solution for this problem we plan on holding on to our laptop until a solution is created. Worst case scenario we find a different laptop. If interfacing with a DMA protected device isn't going to supported by NI for the 8301 card, it should at least be mentioned somewhere in the requirements/specifications. 

Once again, I appreciate the support on this issue!

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 33
(1,783 Views)

Still, thunderbolt does not give you the best bandwidth, if your application requires a high sample rate on large channel counts, an embedded controller with high bandwidth of 8Gb/s or higher would be my preference.

I wish NI had a Thunderbolt dongle to test the computer compatibility which can emulate the presence of PXI chassis and a simple utility that lists the chassis that are compatible with the current thunderbolt port.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 33
(1,777 Views)

@scconner wrote:

If NI is actively working on a solution for this problem we plan on holding on to our laptop until a solution is created. Worst case scenario we find a different laptop. If interfacing with a DMA protected device isn't going to supported by NI for the 8301 card, it should at least be mentioned somewhere in the requirements/specifications.

Early this year, NI R&D discovered a flaw in the way Windows programs the system hardware to handle legacy PCI (non-Express) devices when Kernel DMA Protection is enabled.  NI R&D reported this to Microsoft and has been working with Microsoft on a fix to Windows.  Microsoft has recently published a knowledge base article acknowledging the bug and promising "A resolution will be provided in an upcoming release."  I don't yet know if or when this fix is coming to Windows 10.  The bug is still present in the shipping version of Windows 11, but I have tested with the latest Dev Channel Insider Preview of Windows 11 and found that the bug is fixed in that code base.

Message 29 of 33
(1,724 Views)

Hello!

I try to use PXIe-1090 chassis with PXI-4071 DMM and HP OMEN 17-cb0019nm (7SE79EA) laptop. I could not turn off Kernel DMA protection in Windows 10 Enterprise because laptop BIOS does not have option to disabe Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VTd). Therefore I can not use the PXIe-1090 chassis that I'm wait for six mounts. Is there already solution for this issue?

Thank you,

Bojan

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 33
(1,317 Views)