From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-8031 in PXIe-1082 causing Driver Verifier DMA Violation BSOD on Win10

I have a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 7740 running Win10. All drivers are properly installed. I’m using the integrated thunderbolt port on the laptop.

I have a PXIe-1082 chassis with a PXIe-8301 MXI-Express card for remote control of the PXIe. Cards installed are:

Slot5:  PXI-6683H

Slot6:  PXI-4462

Slot7:  PXI-4461

Connecting the chassis to my 7740 causes system crash and BSOD with “Driver Verifier DMA Violation”.

If I remove the 3 cards in slots 5-7 my computer does not crash. Installing any of the 3 cards causes a crash. The only obvious factor is that the 3 cards are PXI, not PXIe. Beyond that I have no idea what is causing the issue.

Note that colleagues of mine that have recent Dell Latitude laptops (can’t remember the model number off hand but they’re 2019 model year with integrated thunderbolt) and they do not experience this issue.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33
(5,921 Views)

Hi Mike_RT,

Can you attached a MAX Technical Report for me? This will give me information on what NI Software is installed, BIOS version, and what NI services are running. 

Also, can you let me know what version of the Thunderbolt driver you have installed? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 33
(5,849 Views)

Captain_K,

MAX Technical Report attached.

The Intel driver installed for the Thunderbolt controller is version 1.41.648.5. Is that the Thunderbolt driver version you are looking for? I recently checked for driver updates from Dell and installed anything that wasn't the latest release to make sure that wasn't the issue. 

Thanks for trying to help!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 33
(5,804 Views)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this! We've had a couple of similar issues like this pop up and NI R&D is looking into this. The problem we're having is that all of the laptops we've tested are working as expected so we're trying to gather information from user to recreate the issue in house. At this time, I don't have any additional troubleshooting steps for you, but I'll try to keep you updated as information comes my way.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33
(5,749 Views)

Hi Mike,

Quick question, when you have just the 1082 chassis and PXIe-8301 connected to the laptop (no PXI/PXIe modules installed) do the chassis and 8301 show up correctly in MAX? Can you send over a screen shot of that so I can take a look? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 33
(5,744 Views)

Hi Captain_K,

Apologies for the delayed response. I've been slammed at work and haven't had time to check in on this.

The quick answer is yes, the chassis and 8301 show up correctly in MAX without any other slots populated. Adding any one of the other three cards (6683H, 4461, 4462) causes the system to crash. The crash appears to occur as the system starts enumerating the driver for the installed peripheral cards.

I'm not near the hardware at the moment. I'll provide screen shots as soon as I can. Let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful.

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33
(5,702 Views)

Hi Mike,

Does your computer have Kernel DMA Protection enabled? We're investigating whether this might be the issue. You can find if Kernel DMA Protection is enabled by looking in System Information. If it's enabled, you should be able to disable it in the BIOS Setup Menu.

System Information.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 33
(5,692 Views)

Hi Captain_K,

Yes, it appears Kernel DMA Protection is enabled on my machine that crashes. The BIOS is locked by my IT department. I can see if they would be willing to temporarily disable Kernel DMA Protection so I can run a quick check.

Of note, I also checked the temporary loaner machine I requested as a stop-gap for this problem and Kernel DMA Protection is disabled on the loaner machine (which does not crash when I connect it to the chassis).

-Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 33
(5,690 Views)

Captain_K,

Screenshots attached per your request.

-Mike

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 33
(5,678 Views)

I have this same issue with a Dell Precision 7740 Workstation laptop and PXIe-1078 chassis.

This laptop does have Kernel DMA Protection on (enabled) but I have not found how to turn it off yet.

Has this issue been resolved, has Kernel DMA Protection = On (enabled) been verified as the cause of this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 33
(5,175 Views)