From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-6571 signal distortion

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I've been running some tests on the 6571 (Generator) and found out that there is a strange signal distortion on the side of the Generator.

It looks like a distortion from the reflection on the signal line, but this is strange since I'm running test vectors at only 1 MHz. Also, I'm aware that by the 6571 specification rising/falling timing is declared at 1.2 ns. The Generator is set to High-Z output mode.

Any clues on whats happening here?!

Pattern Editor oscilloscope with no cablesPattern Editor oscilloscope with no cables

Pattern Editor oscilloscope with 0R55 cables connectedPattern Editor oscilloscope with 0R55 cables connected

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(915 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sruk

The waveform shape is correlating to the typical reflection, you might be able to make it better by adjusting TDR and adding a 50-ohm resistor in series with the DUT pin.

BTW, you're operating well above 1MHz evident from your time scale in hundreds of ns instead of microseconds. Once you're above 10MHz, you need an excellent high-speed trace implementation with proper terminations or you will see reflections.

Edit: This article might be helpful - https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/18/interconnect-considerations-for-mipi-...

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(898 Views)

Thank you Santhosh!

This was exactly what I and some of my colleagues had in mind but since you're always a word-of-wisdom I've posted the question here. I'll check the link you've sent!

Do you think that a direct test PCB to 6571 connection would be a good idea? That would ditch the cables and interconnect the Generator and DUT over the HD connectors.

Bye!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(879 Views)

You can connect directly to PCB but the traces must be designed for 50-ohm characteristic impedance and the DUT pins have to be 50 ohms to ground.

Typical mixed-signal DUTs do not have a 50ohm input impedance, in that case, you have to work around it by adding a series resistor.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(869 Views)