From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-5413 does not appear in VISA Options List of resources in NI MAX

My PXIe-5413 does not appear in the list of resources on the VISA Options tab of NI-VSA software in NI MAX.

I have a PXIe-5413 function generator installed in a hybrid slot of a PXIe-1075 chassis connected to a Windows 7 PC. The PXIe-5413 appears under NI MAX’s Devices and Interfaces. I am able to communicate with the PXIe-5413 through the soft front panel and through NI FGEN sample code. The PXIe-5413 appears under NI MAX’s Devices and Interfaces with the LabVEW-FPGA icon which is a known issue. When I click on the name of the PXIe-5413 under Devices and Interfaces, in the Settings area it states that the PCI Device is 0. When I navigate to the Software > NI-VISA 16.0 branch of NI MAX, click on the VISA Options tab and look under Aliases, I do not see the PXIe-5413 listed under resources. Refreshing the list does not help. Originally, when I had version 16.01 of NI FGEN installed (webpage says that it supports the PXI-5413 but the read me section does not list it) the device did appear on the VISA Options tab. I’ve also tried installing NI FGEN 17.5 and then 18.5, NI MAX 17.5 and then 18.5.  but the behavior is the same. I’ve manually added an alias with the bus and device number from the Settings tab but when I right click on that entry and select ‘Go To Resource’ it cannot find the PXIe-5413.

The ATE I am working on will use the NI-FGEN commands but I also need to be able to assign an alias to the instrument and create a VISA session. I assumed that the IO layer of the IVI compliant NI-FGEN driver is VISA compliant.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,028 Views)

Hi Kellyd822,

Thanks for reaching out. What's happening is back in NI FGEN 16, you were using an unsupported driver, hardware configuration per here: http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53589/en/

If a device does not have a driver associated with it, it will automatically be assigned to NI VISA if possible, which is why you saw it as a VISA Resource. Now that you are using a supported driver, it will no longer associate with the VISA driver, and instead associate with the NI FGEN driver, which is why you can use it as a soft front panel. To use it as a VISA resource, I would uninstall the FGEN drivers.

Thanks,

Keddy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,912 Views)