cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-4162 minimum current sink

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a PXIe-4162 to draw -50 uA from a chip, but regardless of the settings I use, the SMU is sinking -130 uA. If I set the PXIe-4162 to draw a higher negative current, say -150 uA, I can measure the current to be exactly -150 uA. But if I try to draw a lower negative current than -130 uA then I always read -130 uA.

The specs of this SMU indicate that we can sink/source currents down to at least the units of nA (see Table 3 in the link below). 

PXIe-4162 Specifications - National Instruments (kc-usercontent.com)

But there seems to be a lower limit / baseline value for the current sinking. Did any of you experience something similar? Or have any pointers to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,231 Views)

It is definitely an incorrect setup or misunderstanding of your DUT, I have used 4162 in nA ranges for source/sink operations.

Please share more details of your setup, DUT, and SMU configuration.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,208 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

I have the DUT pin connected to the SMU via a PCB trace up to a connector where I plug the PXIe-4162 cable that hooks up to the SMU on the PXI chassis. There's a set of decoupling caps near the connector but these shouldn't influence the measurement. 

rams20_0-1668099765558.png

Below are the SMU configs I'm using:

• forcemode: 'current'
  • measuremode: 'voltage'
  • voltage: 0
  • current: -50e-6
  • voltage_limit: 0.24
  • current_limit: 200e-6
  • sense: 'local'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,202 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rams20

What is the potential at the DUT pin?

If your DUT pin voltage is very well higher than 0.24V, it will switch to CV from CC.

What are your current and voltage measurements from the SMU when you configure it to sink 50uA?

My theory is that your DUT potential is higher than 0.24V and since SMU switched to CV mode, it needs to sink around 130uA to maintain 0.24V at the SMU terminal.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 5
(1,181 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

You were exactly right, after bumping up the voltage limit to 2.8V I can now correctly set the sink current to 50uA.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,168 Views)