PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-1090 has trouble when PXI card is installed

Solved!
Go to solution

I just got a brand new PXIe-1090 chassis connected via thunderbolt to my Win11 PC. I can boot up the chassis with no cards installed and view it in MAX with some info about it. 

Next, I powered off and installed an older PXI-5122 digital oscilloscope card into the hybrid slot. I can boot up the chassis without the thunderbolt cable and the two LEDs on the front (System and MXI) are both solid green. But, when I plug in the thunderbolt cable, the System LED goes solid red, and the MXI LED turns off. In MAX, I see the following:

capture.png

Please let me know if you have ideas to troubleshoot this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,439 Views)

I think the card might be drawing too much power, but I'm not sure. The specs say the card can draw 270mA from the -12V supply, and the chassis can supply 250mA on the -12V supply. All of the NI "oscilloscope bundles" use the PXIe-1083 chassis, which can supply 750mA on the -12V supply, so maybe I need to try that chassis.

I still don't understand why it only appears to have errors after connecting it to the PC. Maybe the thunderbolt power draw puts it over the edge.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,412 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Gregory

Hi Gregory,

It sounds like you've found the problem -- power draw on -12V.

Until you connect the chassis to the PC the chassis/card will be in reset. Cards generally draw minimal power in reset. Sometimes analog supplies aren't even enabled until later when the driver loads, which is what I suspect is happening here since it was functional long enough to be recognized and show up in MAX.

The -12V rail is only available to legacy PXI cards so you won't see this problem with PXIe cards. Hopefully you were just testing with a card on hand and not planning to use the 5122 in that chassis.

- Robert

Message 3 of 11
(1,397 Views)

Hi Robert, thank you for the info. I have a PXIe-5122 card on order, but it is not expected until March 2024. I was hoping I could use the PXI-5122 until then.

It sounds like the 750mA supply on the PXIe-1083 should be able to handle the PXI-5122 card, is that correct?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,393 Views)

Hi Gregory,

Yes, the PXIe-1083 can handle the PXI-5122 card. I can't wait till lead times return to sanity.

- Robert

Message 5 of 11
(1,383 Views)

Thank you, and just to triple-check, the PXIe-1090 chassis will be able to handle the PXIe-5122 card?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,367 Views)

Yes, the PXIe-5122 works great in the PXIe-1090

Message 7 of 11
(1,360 Views)
Great, thank you again!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,332 Views)

I received the PXIe-1083 today. I have had a little more success, but getting some errors after acquiring data for 10-20 seconds (sometimes as long as 60 seconds).

I can use the test panel in MAX, or a simple VI to collect data for 10-20 seconds, then where the test panel normally says "trig?" I see "break". 

Then if I go back to MAX and run the self-test, I see the following:

The self test failed.
Status Code: -223423
Internal Software Error occurred in Scopes software. Please contact National Instruments Support.

When I try to reset through MAX I see:

There was a problem resetting the device.
Status Code: -239022
Internal Hardware Error occurred in MIG hardware. Please contact National Instruments Support.

System:

Windows 11 PC

• LabVIEW 2016
  • NI SCOPE 16.1
  • NI PXI Platform Services 2023 Q2

PXIe-1083 Chassis

• PXI-5122 card in Slot 3 (also tried Slot 2)
  • Connected to PC thunderbolt connection

I will try this on a Windows 10 PC shortly.

capture.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,024 Views)

By the way, I was able to run this PXI-5122 card for days without issue on a different chassis (PXIe-1071 with controller).

The PXIe-1071 can supply 1A on the -12V, while this PXIe-1083 can supply 0.75A. I really hope the current is not an issue still!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,022 Views)