PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-1085 Remote Power ON/OFF

Hello, 

I plan to mount a PXIe-1085 chassis equipped with a PXIe-8840 controller (LabView RT OS) into a cabinet. As the white ON/OFF button will not be very accessible I wanted to make it accessible remotely.
I saw that an Inhibit Switch Mode exists: but once tested, I noticed a diffrence that may be harmful for the Controller mainly during the power OFF sequence:

- When the "standard" white button is pressed, the Controller takes few seconds to switch OFF

- When I strap Pin1 & 8 on the Remote Inhibit connector (While on Manual Position), the chassis is immediatley switched OFF, without properly shutting down 

=> Is this really harmful or the controller/chassis ?

=> Is there another way to switch it OFF

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,058 Views)

Hi SoMatt,

For LabVIEW RT, shutting down the controller directly is usually not an issue. If you want to be certain of this, make sure to use the Reliance file system (instead of FAT32) when you reformat your PXI controller as it is designed to avoid data corruption in power loss events.

There are some options in the BIOS, but if I remember correctly they only change the behaviour of the front panel button. I wouldn't bother anyway since cutting the power in safe in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,030 Views)