From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI system crashes after updating computer

Hi folks,

I ran into this issue after updating my old Dell Pricision Desktop ( 32bits Win XP, some dual core processor and 2G ram) to a HP Elitedesk G1 tower with 32bits Windows 7 pro, i5 processor, 4G ram. The problem is that I believe the PXI system is crashing my new computer randomly. I occurs during bootup glowing Windows logo screen, login screeen, or anytime in the Windows environment with or without using the PXI system. For certain if I ran the PXI system (DAQ or DCPWR) for 1 to 2 minutes, the system would hang, or display a error message (error -50152). Then if I attempt to restart the operation, the computer would hang. The computer itself runs normally when PXI is powered off.

The PXI system I have is a 1033 chassis and MXI card, 6052E DAQ, 2576 MUX, and 4110 DCPWR. The drivers are DAQMX 9.9 and DCPWR 1.9. The drivers are installed properly and Windows recognizes the hardwares correctly. I have ran the system on my old computer for 2 years without a problem. I know how to operate the system properly.

I read a report in NI.com stating possible ram conflict with 64bit system or 32bit system with 4G ram when 3rd party hardware is involved. I tried disabling PAE and DEP in Windows and in BIOS but it didn't work. Still have the same failure modes. I even tried downgrading my RAM to 2G. Still no luck.

I also installed the PXI system on another Dell Optiplex desktop with i3 processor, 4G ram, 32bit Win 7. It worked perfectly.

Anyone have suggestion how I can make the PXI work on my new HP desktop? Changing PC is the last option.

Thank you.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,012 Views)

Mike,

One thing you might look into is a power setting for PCIe.  In Windows, find your power options (probably set to "Balanced"), click "change plan settings", then "Change advanced power settings".  In the list, find "PCI Express" -> "Link State Power Management" and turn it off.  Windows updates the setting immediately when you click "apply", so you shouldn't even need to reboot.

- Robert

Message 2 of 3
(5,004 Views)

Robert,

I think you just fixed my problem!

I disabled the PCIe power management in Windows and in Bios. It has been running well since. May I ask how you know the solution? Just to satisfy my engineering curiosity.

Thanks a ton.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,999 Views)