From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI chassis not showing in MAX after Windows Update

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my PXIe chassis (PXIe1062Q with MXIe 8381 bridge). Yesterday everything was working fine: the chassis was showing in NI Max (17.5.0f0), code was running on the installed PXIe cards and FPGA. Then windows decided to run and update and restart the system (PC Xeon processor, 64GB RAM) and now my chassis doesn't show up in NI MAX. 

I have tried:

Turning off the system, powering down the chassis, removing the cord for 5 mins, powering back up the chassis and restarting the PC.

Powering down the PC and  chassis, removing the MXI PCIe card, restarting the PC, shutting down the PC, putting back the MXI PCIe card and restarting the PC.

"Reset Configuration Data".

I'm about to start uninstalling Windows updates to see if I can identify the one causing the issue.

Any help on solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,055 Views)

Hello Benyager,

Have you taken a look at Windows Device Manager? The chassis should appear as National Instruments SMBus Controller. If it cannot be recognized by Windows, try removing all the cards and just leave the chassis and remote controller card.

If Windows identifies the chassis and cards, we can narrow this to a software /driver issue. In that case, you can attach an NI MAX Technical Report and list the hardware you are using.

Regards,

José F.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,001 Views)

I am having a similar issue with my 1085e chassis. What is the deal?Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,946 Views)

Hi Kyle,

This looks exactly like the issue I had. I solved the problem the hard way. I updated LabVIEW to the latest version, uninstalled and reinstalled all modules related to PXIe, Platform Services, the PXIe cards and LabVIEW FPGA. It worked but I wasted a full day doing it.

I'm sure it isn't the answer that you're looking for, but it did work for me! Maybe someone with more NI knowledge would be able to help with a less time intensive solution.

Best,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,942 Views)

Under further investigation is appears that none of my instruments in slots 11-18 are working or showing up in MAX. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,933 Views)

Hi,

I noticed that in both cases the chassis was not properly recognized by NI MAX. Make sure that you have installed a version of the PXI Platform Services compatible with the hardware and OS.

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,908 Views)

Thank you Jose,

In my case the chassis was recognized by MAX prior to the update with the correct version of PXI platform services, and all cards were correctly recognized in the chassis. Everything was working correctly prior to the Windows update.

The chassis suddenly not being recognized in MAX is the issue that I was reporting.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,905 Views)

Hi Ben,

In that case, I would start by force-reinstalling the PXI Platform Services. This process is even more recommended than just desinstalling and reinstalling the software when there are clues of software/driver corruption.

Regards,

Jose

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,901 Views)

Hi Jose,

Thank you for your advice. As per my previous comment, I did manage to solve the problem, but it did require reinstalling everything, starting with updating LabVIEW to the latest version, then reinstalling Platform Services. At this point I could see the chassis in MAX again, but the PXI cards were not associated with the chassis. I then reinstalled all of the PXI drivers. As I did this the cards started to reappear in the chassis. However, downloading the many gb of software and drivers, uninstalling everything and reinstalling everything took more than 1 day. As a one off this is not too much of an issue, but as it was caused by a windows update I cannot be sure that it won't happen again.

Best,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,899 Views)