PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI Real Time Control with Heidenhain Encoders

I am using PXI-8106 Controller with PXI-6289 DAQ for realtime motion control at loop rate of 5kHz. However, I am now planing to use Heidenhain linear optical encoder for feedback. I have the following questions:

1. The encoder has following possible output formats after interpolation (datasheet attached, pp. 6-7): EnDat 2.2 (EnDat 22), Fanuc Serial Interface (Fanuc 02), Mitsubishi High Speed Serial Interface (Mit 02-4 / Mit 02-2), PCI Bus. Which of these would be compatible with the PXI system I am using? If not, are there any interfaces I could buy to use any of these output formats with my PXI system? 

2. Speed of data acuisition is a major concern for my application. I'm wondering whether these outputs could run at loop rates of 5-10kHz.

Thanks

Gaurav

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,624 Views)

Hi gkp,

I would recommend using the TTL output format. This will work with the PXI-6289. 

The PXI-6289 can go up to 80MHz so a loop rate of 5-10kHz should be ok.

Also, click here for a forum post which has useful information regarding this topic.

Regards,

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,585 Views)

The interpolator with TTL output format provided by Heidenhain is only capable of 400X interpolation which is not sufficient for my application. Also, speed of the interpolator is limited to 20kHz. Otherwise, as you said, this would be an obvious way to go about it.

Thanks

Gaurav

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,572 Views)

Hi Guarav,

Are you using LabVIEW Real Time as well?

Also did you get a chance to review this post? It has a lot of information for using the Heidenhain encoder.

Regards

Arham H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,543 Views)