From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI/PC Start up order and problems

Hello,

I have some problems with startup order for the PXI (model 1065) chassis when connected to an MXI (model 8360) module through PCIe. When the PC is started without the PXI being powered, the screen resolution of the monitor is very stretched and low. This can be fixed in the settings on the PC, but eventually the screen resolution bug returns. 

If the PXI is turned on before the PC, no screen resolution issues. My main question is which order should these be power up in?

I am trying to implement the auto-start using the MXI module. The module can either start the host PC when the chassis is powered on, or start the chassis when the host PC is powered on. Is one option more robust than the other? Given my screen resolution issues I was unsure. 

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(918 Views)

MXI ExpressCard user manual states as below-

https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371575d

santo_13_0-1637688310441.png

santo_13_2-1637688329218.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(903 Views)

Hello,

The module can either start the host PC when the chassis is powered on, or start the chassis when the host PC is powered on. Is one option more robust than the other?

Power up PC, chassis follows: This is the most reliable way to get both powered on every time (once it's configured). Theoretically the host could start too quickly and enumerate the system before the chassis is powered and ready, but I haven't seen it fail in actual systems. 

Power up chassis, PC follows: This enforces proper sequencing so it's more reliable/robust from that perspective. There are times the host may disable WAKE# and you end up having to power up the host separately. I've seen this happen when the OS isn't shut down properly (crash, typically) or when the card is first inserted.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(877 Views)