From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-ExpressCard8360 on Linux laptop

Solved!
Go to solution

Can a PXI-ExpressCard8360 be used on a laptop with Linux?

Is it possible? Has anyone done it?

I have a laptop that uses the PXI-ExpressCard8360 to connect to a PXI-1036 chassis via MXI express with Windows 7. My customer has asked to port the application to Linux and I've found some information about the modules I use, but nothing about anyone using the ExpressCard connection.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,248 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt_Dennie

Matt,

The PXI-ExpressCard8360 kit you mentioned will work as well under Linux as "regular" MXI kits provided you're not using NI MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility Software to work around BIOS issues.  

If you don't know whether you're using it, look for "All Programs»National Instruments»ExpressCard-8360 Configuration" on a working (Windows) system.  If it's not installed then you should be good.  If it is, run it to check the configuration of your ExpressCard (look at the ReadMe with the software for better instructions).  If you can disable the compatibility mode, uninstall NI MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility Software, reboot, and run normally then you should be good.

- Robert

Message 2 of 3
(3,230 Views)

Robert,

Thank you for the reply. I checked my laptop and we don't have the compatibility software installed, so I'm going to proceed with installing a version of Linux desktop and LabVIEW and identify any software issues that will need to be addressed.

It is very helpful to know that the ExpressCard will work before continuing with a test setup!

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,158 Views)