PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI Chassis power cycle with remote control computer

Hi, I have a question on how to control the power between the remote control computer (a desktop computer with PCI-PXI extender card) and PXI Chassis (with PXIe-8360 MXI-Express). 

Because we are in development and constantly need to turn on/off the PXI chassis for swapping the instrument cards.  One thing that I notice is that every time when I powering off PXI chassis for changing the instrument cards, I needed to reboot the remote control computer?  I want to ask if this is normal behavior?   So for the powering sequence, the PXI chassis has be powered on first, then the remote control computer?

I am having some doubt because I used to work with VXI chassis; and, for VXI chassis, after turning off/on the power, I can go into NI MAX and do a refresh.  PXI seems behaving differently.

Thanks

Peggy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,866 Views)

Peggy,

You'll need to reboot after power cycling a PXI(e) chassis.  That's expected behavior, and it's different from VXI.  The chassis needs to be powered before the PC, and it should be powered down after.  

You can change options so the chassis will power up and down with the PC (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/f645f5669e9d4b568625716a007d22db).  Also, the new PXIe-8301 (Thunderbolt) can be successfully hot-plugged in many situations, though you need a Thunderbolt port for it to work.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,809 Views)