From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8512 software compatibility issues

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a PXI-8512 high speed CAN module in my system. My PXI controller has a realtime OS. I am having some problems and have been trying to identify the problem. 

My question:

Is there any known compaitbility issues with the PXI-8512 using the NI-CAN 2.7.4 software installed on a realtime system?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,497 Views)

Hi DPearce,

The PXI-8512 CAN card uses the NI-XNET driver, not the NI-CAN driver. The latest version of the NI-XNET driver can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-xnet-1.8/4166/en/

Catherine B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,486 Views)

Thanks for reminding me about the NI-XNET. I had forget that tidbit of information. I have NI-XNET 1.7.0. I was asking about the compatibility because I had some odd problems before and found out in the end it was a compatibility issue; I think it had to do with the NI-DAQmx software that time. It was real difficult to figure out on my own and I eventually got help from NI Support who knew about it. I don't think I could have found the problem on my own; much of it is a black box to me.

I am about to get the NI-Support folks involved in this issue too but thought I would run down as amny paths as I could before I made the call.

thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,483 Views)

Hi Don,

What sort of problems have you been encountering with your PXI CAN card?

Catherine B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,462 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DPearce

It was a problem with my code. I was posting my CAN messages to a Queue and it was sometimes taking a long time for the CAN message to be actually set. Never figured out why the LAbWindows/CVI 2012 worked better than the 2013 but found a work around so my problem is solved.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,449 Views)